2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my battery died, now that it's charged my truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 AM
garpoonga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my battery died, now that it's charged my truck wont start

Hey all, 96 Ram 5.9L my battery died, so I charged it up and now my truck wont start. It's is turning over great it sounds like no fuel is getting to the engine. My fuel pump is just over a year old and is OEM, installed by Dodge.

Any ideas at all. I swaped the relays around and checked the fuel related fuses all seem good.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: my battery died, now that it's charged my truck wont start

I've heard that if the battery is not charged really good, this problem you have can happen... are you getting any codes? have you tried to jump it?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 AM
garpoonga
Professional

No I have not tried to jump it, I tried to use the 100amp jump start option on my charger. I then charged the battery for a while on 15am now I'm using 2 amp trickle. I can not hear the fuel pump at all when I turn the key.... I am going to go out right now and try to jump it. I'll post back in a bit.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:59 AM
garpoonga
Professional

Well, just tried to jump the truck with the car and no joy !!! The fuel pump is not coming on, I am sure I use to hear it prime up when I turned the key ??? I dumped in some gasline antifreeze as it has been a few degrees below zero, and added 35 litres of fuel to top off the tank as I am parked on a very slight nose down position. Trying everything I can think of. I just had the fuel pump replaced in June of 2005.

frustred in PG

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Rob O

check your fuse and relay for the fuel pump. Your going to have to check the owners manual for the exact location im not 100% sure. Im new here so i dont know if you know what your looking at so dont take afence to it. There is a piece of metal on the inside make sure its in tac. and also for the relay when you find it if you can have a friend, girlfriend or wife turn the key for you. if the relay is good it will click if so more then likely the pump is no good or a wire may have been pulled from the wiring harness. try hitting the tank from under the truck with a small hammer it sometimes will start the vechical while someone cranks it over.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:10 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ok, here's a possiblity for you... your fuel pump has a short in it and it drained your battery... did you leave lights on or anything that would have helped kill the batt?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
garpoonga
Professional

I left my sattelite radio receiver on, however it was only for 2 days and the battery is new. I have never turned the receiver off and it has sat for almost a week in the winter and still started. I am going to climb under the truck after I finish my coffee and check whatever connections I can get to.

I can't figure this out, the truck was fine when I parked it Friday, the fuel pump is OEM replacment and only 14 months old. I had hoped that something was just iced up, but it's sat all night now with two bottles of gasline antifreeze in the tank and there is still no sign of life from the pump.

I can't believe my trusty steed has left me stranded.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
garpoonga
Professional
Default So it must be the fuel pump I guess ??? Right ??

Ok, so I tested the relay under the hood, I was sure it was ok, as I rotated all 3 relays in and out all with the same results, anyway, voltage, resistence and continuity checks as per manual are all ok, checked every fuse in the truck, all ok as well.

Anyway, I can only find one relay that appears to be related to the fuel system, there isn't anything hidden anywhere like a fuel shut off breaker or anything is there ?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
nihlcat
Rookie
Default RE: So it must be the fuel pump I guess ??? Right ??

Ok, I'll ask me a noob question, since you already said you can't hear the pump. How did the battery go dead, was it completely drained? If it wasn't completely dead (but not starting your truck) when you decided to charge it, perhaps no spark?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Rob O
Default RE: So it must be the fuel pump I guess ??? Right ??

ORIGINAL: garpoonga

Ok, so I tested the relay under the hood, I was sure it was ok, as I rotated all 3 relays in and out all with the same results, anyway, voltage, resistence and continuity checks as per manual are all ok, checked every fuse in the truck, all ok as well.

Anyway, I can only find one relay that appears to be related to the fuel system, there isn't anything hidden anywhere like a fuel shut off breaker or anything is there ?
No breaker to my knowledge, did you try tapping the bottom of the tank in hopes of it firing up. if so and its still not starting even though the pump is new its still can be bad but try to reach for the plugs on top of the sender/pump if you can get to them you may be able to sneak your hand up there. If you have a test lite test for power at the plugs if you have power at the pump you know the pump should run and its no good.

Quick Reply: my battery died, now that it's charged my truck wont start