2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
toyhauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?

Hey all, Im really interested in getting some more pulling power as well. I have a 97 1500 short box 4x4 with about 5 inchs of lift that has to haul around a 23 foot boat that weighs in aroud 6500 pounds! It will drag it around not to bad but it used a pile of fuel. I probably need a desiel, but cant afford one. Hopefully the info in these threads will help a little.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 AM
bcdalton
Professional

clint84- Thanks for your input. I just received the Harland Sharp 1.7's. My mechanic will have it installed some time next week. Can't wait to see the difference in performance. I've read a lot of good things about the Harland Sharp roller rockers.

toyhauler- The info that are posted by members of this forum are invaluable. I definitely have seen a big performance difference that my current mods have given me in terms of performance and power. My current modsdefinitely compliment each other and so far I'm very satisfied with the extra performance it provides for towing. 4:56 gears and the Fastman 50mm throttle body are a big plus for towing. Before any mods, my truck ran very sluggish. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcdalton

clint84- Thanks for your input. I just received the Harland Sharp 1.7's. My mechanic will have it installed some time next week. Can't wait to see the difference in performance. I've read a lot of good things about the Harland Sharp roller rockers.

toyhauler- The info that are posted by members of this forum are invaluable. I definitely have seen a big performance difference that my current mods have given me in terms of performance and power. My current modsdefinitely compliment each other and so far I'm very satisfied with the extra performance it provides for towing. 4:56 gears and the Fastman 50mm throttle body are a big plus for towing. Before any mods, my truck ran very sluggish. Hope this helps.
Did you cut down the intake runners? There is no better feeling than mashing the throttle and the truck just leaps to life when passing someone.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:31 PM
clint84

i would think shortening the intake runners would cause the truck to lose some of it's low end power but increase the top end. isn't that the opposite of what you want for a tow vehicle?

Old 02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Gary-L
Legend

I cut mine down because I don't tow all the time and it seems to help when the downshifting kicks in.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: clint84

i would think shortening the intake runners would cause the truck to lose some of it's low end power but increase the top end. isn't that the opposite of what you want for a tow vehicle?
I actually prefer top end mods to help with towing, but that is because I tow mostly in the mountains. I am often towing up steep hills and mountain passes, This means that I am downshifted and at higher rpm a lot of the time. So for me, top end mods help me more towing then do low end mods. Low end mods will only help you get your load moving. Once you accomplish that, everything else is going to be mid to high rpms.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 PM
bcdalton
Professional

VWandDodge- I haven't shortened the intake runners yet, butupgrading or modifying the intake manifoldis definitely my next mod upgrade. After reading Silver Dodge and Clint84 posts, would getting an M1 intake be better than modifying the intake runners on the stock intake for towing? I tow my travel trailerseveral times a year to Mammoth Mountain and Lake Take Tahoe and I encounter some steep mountain passes and grades. Truck does fine presently, but wouldn't mind more power for towing in the mountains. Any comments would greatly be appreciated. Thank you guys for your input and knowledge.

Also, VWandDodge thanks forposting the the brake upgrade thread. That was a great read. Something I need to consider in the near future. Once again, thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Gary-L
Legend

The M1 costs too much to me. That's why I opted to cut down the runners and get the modifed pan parts for the plenum. Save the difference in modifying versus the M1 for gas

Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been told by more then one Mopar/Magnum expert that the M1 is great, but you need to flash your PCM to get the full benefit of it. B&G has an M1 flash for just this reason.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
bcdalton
Professional

VWandDodge & Silver Dodge- Thanks for your replies. Does anybody know if the M1 intake is emissions legal since I live in California?

Quick Reply: 1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?