2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 AM
clint84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?

i've been thinking of ordering the stock viper rockers. i've been told the mid nineties vipers had 1.7's and they bolt in and the best part is i can get a set for 90 bucks or so which is great for a broke college student like me. i wouldn't have to worry about my valvesprings being too soft or my computer going haywire would i? other than a torque wrench, hand tools and a case or two of beer this could be done in my apt. parking lot right?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: clint84

i've been thinking of ordering the stock viper rockers. i've been told the mid nineties vipers had 1.7's and they bolt in and the best part is i can get a set for 90 bucks or so which is great for a broke college student like me. i wouldn't have to worry about my valvesprings being too soft or my computer going haywire would i? other than a torque wrench, hand tools and a case or two of beer this could be done in my apt. parking lot right?
Absolutely. Oh, and you need to have brats with the beer.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

is there an advantage to the harland sharps over the viper ones? the price diff is so significant it seems like no one would buy the harland sharps unless theres a difference?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:25 PM
clint84

well the viper ones are stamped steel like what is stock on the magnum motors now. the harland sharps are aluminum (or stainless) and are rollers. those two factors lighten up the valvetrain and reduce the friction which would lead to a few more horses but it all depends on how much those few more horses are worth to you and if you really need it. my truck is a daily driver/backwoods runner and doesn't need power out the wazoo (although it would be fun to have it.)

Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
clint84

also muddy_blue what size are your tires. you have the same stock rims i do (in your pic)and was wondering if 285/75/16's would fit fine.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well the viper ones are stamped steel like what is stock on the magnum motors now. the harland sharps are aluminum (or stainless) and are rollers. those two factors lighten up the valvetrain and reduce the friction which would lead to a few more horses but it all depends on how much those few more horses are worth to you and if you really need it. my truck is a daily driver/backwoods runner and doesn't need power out the wazoo (although it would be fun to have it.)
Right. And when it comes to towing, torque is the mitigating factor, not horsepower.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
clint84

what about the baffles on the stock valve covers. i don't have a grinder at my disposal (i'm sure i could get one) and reallynew shiny valve covers don't much sense to me because my engine compartment stays a pretty shade of georgia clay red. which is another reason i'm saving up for a good intake with a shield so i can keep the water out. i don't think the viper rockers would interfer but i don't want to spend a weekend running around town chasing tools and parts. do i even need the baffles?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

also muddy_blue what size are your tires. you have the same stock rims i do (in your pic)and was wondering if 285/75/16's would fit fine.

yea those are 285/75/16s......... 32.7 inches

Quick Reply: 1.7 Roller Rockers good for towing?