2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 PM
mikerados21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

i will personally drive my dads sweet *** dually up there to save ur life.... i had 15 kids in the back of my truck and it looked like it had airbags imagine 14,000 lbs!?!?!
My dads dually PIC:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4712507

Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

dude, my 1500 is quite capable though it cant pull 10000 lbs i can get across a mucky lawn better then a car w/ a bed in the back lol

Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

ands its 4x4

Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Ben D.
Champion

Topsites I gotta disagree. Even though i like the 2500 and 3500 much better than the 1500. I even have a new 07 2500 4x4 SLT with the 6.7L CTD and Exhaust brake on order just waiting for the dealer to call and say "she's rollign off the truck now come on down". The 1500 is a very capable truck. It does what it is meant to. I believe everyone is in agreement that 14k is wayy to much for the truck. That doesn't mean that the 1500 is junk. I just can't believe with everyone telling this deushbag that this is unsafe and illegal and he could kill someone he still doesn't care.

ORIGINAL: ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

I'm not required to stop at the weight scales in CA from what I hear, I'm not doing any thing commercial.Ive bolted and welded the factory hitch to the frame of my truck and I have a HD 12k lbs bar and RV ball on there. I dont speed and I know my limits with following distance and I can stop faster then a 18wheeler. Ive already pulled this rig 500miles and I think dodge needs to up the tow rateing of this truck, butI think Iwill make plans on geting a4x4 2500 some time soon.
Dude I'm so glad u live in california and I live in Pennsylvania. ARE U SERIOUSLY THAT FRICKIN STUPID I MEAN REALLY THAT STUPID. You must have no idea what you're doing. I understand that with new brakes you can stop half decent. Your truck may be able to stopa few times or more but sooner or later (probably sooner) something is going to break and then ur up **** creek without a paddle.You're overworking those brakes and everything else on the truck parts will break and when your brake rotors warp and fall apart from the stress of being rode on to stop that trailer and you kill the person in front of you when you rear end them then maybe you'll get ur head outta ur *** and realize what you did. Everyone is right YOU ARE WRONG. I just can't believe how dumb you are. I mean the engineers at dodge that have college degrees to design these trucks made those limits. are you saying you know more about structural limits than they do????????????. I don't think so. I completely agree with junkman you probably will die.. the sad thing is that you'll end up taking someone else that wasn't a dumbass doing somehting illegal andstupidwith you. I don't really give adang if you think i'm mean or anyone else but you are going to kill someone and yourself.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Glideman88
Professional

The more I think about this, the more I think this question was just a case of "flame bait"? And if that's what it is, at least it added a little excitement to the forum today.....

Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Ben D.
Champion

You might be right and I kinda hope it is because if not this guy is a GIGANTIC DUMBASS
plus be nice to know that no one is gonna get killed because of a jackass

Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

Do you feel better now? New unturned rotor warping and breaking? I would feel a warped rotor every timeI press the brake many months before it shows signs of cracking. What else do you think would break smart guy? Tell me some thing else from the deushbag book of autotech ya *****. Will I bend the frame of my truck going over a speed bump lol??

Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
ShakyJay
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

I'm not required to stop at the weight scales in CA from what I hear, I'm not doing any thing commercial.Ive bolted and welded the factory hitch to the frame of my truck and I have a HD 12k lbs bar and RV ball on there. I dont speed and I know my limits with following distance and I can stop faster then a 18wheeler. Ive already pulled this rig 500miles and I think dodge needs to up the tow rateing of this truck, butI think Iwill make plans on geting a4x4 2500 some time soon.
Please clarify.You are talking about the trailer itselfbeing 14,000 lbs. right? If that is true then your total weight is in excess of 20,000 lbs.. You say you have 12k bars which I am assuming are your weight distribution bars. If your tongue weight is within the recommended 10 to 15% of trailer weight then your's should be at least 1400 lbs. That in itself exceeds the ability of those bars to distribute the weight. That will make the front of your truck light and can cause a loss of steering control. If nothing else you need bars that are higher rated. You are correct that youmay notneed to stop at scales but there licensing regulations when a trailer exceeds 10,000 lbs. For your sake I would hope that you are meeting these. If an accident does occurr and you are not properly licensed, well I think you know. That is assuming you survive. I don't what hitch your 1500 came with but all of the factory tow packages I have seen rate these hitches at a maximum of 1,000 tongue weight and 10,000 vehicle weight with proper weight distribution. Again you are far exceeding this rating even if as you say you have weldedit to the frame. The componentsof that hitch are not made to withstand the constant stresswhich you would be subjecting it. Yes it may work for awhile but eventuallysomething will break.As for the brakes. You may be right about your ability to stop faster than an 18 wheeler usually. What would concern me is the ability of the braking system to hold up under use during an extended trip especially if there are any downhill slopes. The brakes on these trucks are not the best for the size and weight of the truck to begin with.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to bash you or judge you in any way. I am not afraid to push the limits of the truck and on occasion do.I am just trying to understand where you are coming from and hopefully save you some heartache. I know frompersonal experience,I would not push it as far as you. As I put in my earlier post I do tow a trailer on occasion with my 1500 5.9L that some people are surprised to see me pull. It is close to 7000 lbs. when loadedand it is about as much trailer as I think the truck can take safely down the highway. I am amazed thatyour truck pulls that load.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 AM
ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

Its a 10k lbstoy box with my 1941 chevy I pull in it, so I'm realy under 14k if I dont load other stuff in it. The bar (not the right name) I'm refering to goes in to the hitch and has the ball on theother end.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I would advise against advisng him? I mean, what he wants to do is unsafe, period. Why inable him to injure someone other than himself?
First off, whatever you're towing with needs to be in the same weight ballpark as the whats being towed. Power is one thing, but braking is another. You need braking area and 1500 brakes simply won't cut it. The money and time you spend trying to modify your truck to something it was NEVER designed to do will cost you more than purchasing a proper vehicle.
Oh, and if the DOT catches you, and they will...you may lose your truck.
NUFF SAID

Quick Reply: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??