2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??

ORIGINAL: ForSale00Ram4dr$7000

I'm not required to stop at the weight scales in CA from what I hear, I'm not doing any thing commercial.Ive bolted and welded the factory hitch to the frame of my truck and I have a HD 12k lbs bar and RV ball on there. I dont speed and I know my limits with following distance and I can stop faster then a 18wheeler. Ive already pulled this rig 500miles and I think dodge needs to up the tow rateing of this truck, butI think Iwill make plans on geting a4x4 2500 some time soon.
You are a clear-cut danger to other driver's on the road for blatant disregard for safety and are also a deadly accident waiting to happen.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 AM
ForSale00Ram4dr$7000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you guys are geting a bit off topic, so far we have.

Upgrade front brakes
Trans cooler
Rear Airbags + add a leaf springs
Regearing or upgrade rear diff
Class III hitch? what do I have in there right now from the factory?
Ballance bars to take off some tongue weight

any thing else?

Looks like about aprox$2300 in parts, compaired to a $13000 3500 ram

Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Ben D.
Champion

Do you feel better now? New unturned rotor warping and breaking? I would feel a warped rotor every timeI press the brake many months before it shows signs of cracking. What else do you think would break smart guy? Tell me some thing else from the deushbag book of autotech ya *****. Will I bend the frame of my truck going over a speed bump lol??
LOL no i don't have a "deushbag book of autotech" but I'd sure like to read the one that gave you the idea that what you are doing is safe and a smart thing to do. that way we could post the name of it in the wall of shame in the sticky section of the forum. In fact i don't think anyone would need to know anything about automotive to understand that grossly overloading somehting is dumb and unsafe idea. I am like anyone else and like to push stuff to the edge but man you're going too far.

do you know why eighteen wheelers reduce gears and go really reeally slow before a large hilll??????????????????????????? it's because the brakes can't handle being rode on the whole way down the hill. That's why they have runaway ramps for them when they don't get down low enough in gear. Same concept for you. Your truck going down a grade or stopping anywhere and slowing down you need to apply the brakes harder and longer which the brakes for your truck arnt meant to do. thus why it has weight limits to not stress vital components such as breaks. So yea you'll end up overheating/warping and cause failure of the breaks. Which is exaclty whatShakyJay says in his post. No you won't destroy your brakes on a short trip stopping once or twice buton a long trip something will break No you won't bend your frame going over a speed bump jackass but you quite possible could towing something that weighs almost two times what the truck is rated for. You just don't get it do you. NOTHING on that truck is meant to do what you are trying to do. If you are that dense then whatever man. I just feel bad for the person you kill.

O and another Moderators why don't we just lock this topic. Obviously someone has no idea what he's talking about and is doing something illegal and stupid. No point in continuing to listen to this retarded *** idea of his.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 AM
97Ram2500
Professional

Don't forget to add the rebuilt tranny $2000 when your tranny goes out as these often do under normal circumstances much less this. How about this:
Parts: $2300
Tranny: $2000
or sell truck save $4300 in repairs/upgrades plus a hell of a lotta work and spend the $13000 on a 3500. If you are selling the one in your profile name that would be $11,300 in saving/resale that would be a $1,700 in difference which is worth it to me just having not to do the labor and saving the money in gas. Another less advised option, but would be better than your truck would be a 2wd V10 3500 which you could probably pick up under $8,000.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Ben D.
Champion

^^^ Not to mention all the other driveline components that are going to be completely maxed out over time and eventually shred. Axles, suspension, pretty much everything. I'm surprised his tranny isn't gone already with that kind of load that thing has to be slipping like crazy.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
97Ram2500
Professional

Anyone know what the towing capacity is on a 3500 V10 by chance?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 AM
ShakyJay
Rookie

Its a 10k lbstoy box with my 1941 chevy I pull in it, so I'm realy under 14k if I dont load other stuff in it. The bar (not the right name) I'm refering to goes in to the hitch and has the ball on theother end.
Doesn't sound like you have any weight distribution or sway control. Both of which are absolutely necessary. Now my next question is about your toy box. You say it is 10k. Is that the unladen weight or gross weight rating? How much does your car actually weigh? I ask because you may also be overloading the trailer. Another unsafe situation.

To your list add $400+ for proper weight distribution hitch set up (at least that can used with the replacement truck when this one breaks), $200-400 for new shocks and chances are you need to check your tires and be sure they can handle the weight.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why they or me reduce gear is because the fade affect on the brakes. you get em hot guess what NO BRAKES!!!(use the jab affect to keep em cool let the motor do the work)plus retards work well lol i ment jake brake did it every cross any ones minds why rigs dont use brake fluid to stop instead they use air ? HEAT. so put this on your list.... air lines...and retards 6 stage cause 2 dont work as good as 6...lol....

Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Anyone know what the towing capacity is on a 3500 V10 by chance?
I vaguely remember reading through my sales brochure back when I got my truck and (IIRC) the 3500 with the CTD/5 speed was around 19,000 lbs. I don't think the V10 was too far off that mark.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

Why they or me reduce gear is because the fade affect on the brakes. you get em hot guess what NO BRAKES!!!(use the jab affect to keep em cool let the motor do the work)plus retards work well lol i ment jake brake did it every cross any ones minds why rigs dont use brake fluid to stop instead they use air ? HEAT. so put this on your list.... air lines...and retards 6 stage cause 2 dont work as good as 6...lol....
Well i guess i had a general idea about the reduce gear lol. But i'm not a truck driver so i think i did aight. By chance i figure i'll hijack this to something useful. The transmissions on Big rigs always interested me. With all the crazy terms like "double clutching" and such and having 18 gears and thing s like that. Always interested me. Seeing as you are a big rig driver could you please educate a 18 yr old eager to be educated? And cool ur from PA too lol same here gotta love the winter weather with the acid salt laden roads and whatnot.

Quick Reply: Mods to help a 1500 pull 14k LBS??