2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

posi-lok installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
plott hound
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: posi-lok installed

sound like what i am experiencing,4wd light is off but cad not fully disengaged.wheels still grab and over 30 mph i get a shudder and noise from front end.put it back into 4wd and everything works the way it should.
hurry up and get here posi-lok,cant wait to get it installed.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
plott hound
Professional

okay,so i couldn't wait for part to arrive.i removed the old cad 2 bolts were tight like hell,put the heat to em though and they came out no problem.really sucked laying in the snow but to bad EH,welcome to canada.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Ram_Sport

u know what, when i turn i notice it feels wierd like it grabs once every rotation of the wheel.
Bent axle ... damaged u-joint ... bent shift fork? That scraping sound you're hearing ... does it sound like a brake pad dragging?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
JarheadX
All Star

that happend to me, it would not fully disengage...it was a really cold winter here tho so it was kinda froze, i had ice and a lot of crap all over my hub and what not too. I can't fit my truck in the garage so it sucked that I couldn't keep it warmed up. But we hada warm week and it got into the 50s, so i cleaned it all out, replaced my hub and now its fine. I hope all the stuff works out for you man, let me know.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

i hope its nothing major, it doesnt do anyhting wierd in 2wd but in 4wd it is goofey when turning and we can rule out brakes cause i know they are in perfect working order

Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

also what does this hub thingy look like to replace?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JarheadX

that happend to me, it would not fully disengage...it was a really cold winter here tho so it was kinda froze, i had ice and a lot of crap all over my hub and what not too. I can't fit my truck in the garage so it sucked that I couldn't keep it warmed up. But we hada warm week and it got into the 50s, so i cleaned it all out, replaced my hub and now its fine. I hope all the stuff works out for you man, let me know.
LMAO, just noticed... the "shocker" in your signature image.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

update #1. someday when you really need 4wd to get unstuck and you pull on the cable and it won't move... the too small of a cable tie broke and the posilok cable has fallen onto the exhaust manifold and melted the plastic into the spiral wrap. damn. so you get to remove the whole thing, strip the plastic from the melted area, and sort of work it back and forth until it frees up. then put it all back together. tip- tie the damn thing away from the manifold.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-04-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

update #2. my mysterious and sluggish cad engagement is solved. while replacing axle u-joints and seals, i also replaced the 2 bushings at the cad. the larger one is at the inner housing. i replaced the bushing with the bearing. the smaller bushing is where the 2 halves meet. both of mine had a little wear and play.

the bigger problem was burrs on the splines of the inner axle and the collar. this created a very tight fit to engage, and explained why it was so hard to get it lined up right. i filed the burrs off with a hand file. now it engages smooth and easy.

the vacuum cad still sucks. get a posilok and you'll love 2wd low.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Rave71

Hey do you still have the images stored somewhere, I can't see them on the thread but I'm considering doing this mod and would like to see how you did it.

Quick Reply: posi-lok installed