2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Cover cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Cover cracked

Ok i have a cracked timing cover. Im about 70 percent sure. a while back my motor poped the radiator and over heated. then ive had a steady leak that keeps ending up in my oil pan. I used a stop leak to patch it at the moment. and now that i have a starting problem fix. Im willing to fix this now.

What should I all get and replace. when doing this?
And if anyone have a extra timing cover , Get with me.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by byronpen
Ok i have a cracked timing cover. Im about 70 percent sure. a while back my motor poped the radiator and over heated. then ive had a steady leak that keeps ending up in my oil pan. I used a stop leak to patch it at the moment. and now that i have a starting problem fix. Im willing to fix this now.

What should I all get and replace. when doing this?
And if anyone have a extra timing cover , Get with me.
Anti Freeze + engine bearings = new motor. Fix it ASAP.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Change the timing chain and gears while you are in there.

Are you sure it's the timing cover that is leaking???

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM
byronpen
Veteran

Ive inspected the heads, and i sure they are not cracked, I had a old drango a few years pack. and it had this problem. we will no for sure when it heats up a little more.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive inspected the heads, and i sure they are not cracked, I had a old drango a few years pack. and it had this problem. we will no for sure when it heats up a little more.

If you are going to do it that way, then you will have to do the following:

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Anti Freeze + engine bearings = new motor. Fix it ASAP.

Shut it down and pull it part. +1 on timing set, new water pump, tstat, whatever else is not ne in that area. Driving it ad kknowingly allowing oil and coolant to mix is not smart. You are only making things much worse for yourself.

How did you inspect the heads?

Last edited by gdstock; 02-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
byronpen
Veteran

Lets make this clear. the truck has not been driven. Ive have a starting problem and its been sitting, since the leak started. fixed starting isse and this is next on the block. this truck has been lucky if it received 1000 miles a year, when it was running good.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
gdstock
Legend

Ok i have a cracked timing cover. Im about 70 percent sure. a while back my motor poped the radiator and over heated. then ive had a steady leak that keeps ending up in my oil pan. I used a stop leak to patch it at the moment. and now that i have a starting problem fix. Im willing to fix this now......
Lets make this clear. the truck has not been driven. Ive have a starting problem and its been sitting, since the leak started. fixed starting isse and this is next on the block. this truck has been lucky if it received 1000 miles a year, when it was running good.

That's better! The way I was reading it appeared that you were driving it.

What about the heads? You stated that you have checked them. How did you do this?

Also, check HERE.

May want to get a radiator tester (the one you pressure up) and see if you can locate where this is coming from.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
byronpen
Veteran

Did a pressure test with the radiator, didnt received any steam out of the spark plug hole. Pressure was at 12 psi. and cranked motor. no water coming out.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
byronpen
Veteran

THat link you posted is for a 96. my truck in a 99. the ones i keep pull up are 100 plus dollars

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
gdstock
Legend

THat link you posted is for a 96. my truck in a 99. the ones i keep pull up are 100 plus dollars

Yep, I did not specify year when I pulled that up, so make sure you get the correct one if you order. I don't know if it is actually any different or not.

Sometimes the timing cover will leak at the water passage due to not being bolted tight enough. May want to pull Wp and then timing cover to check it. It should not crack for no reason, as there is not extreme pressure or force on these things.

Quick Reply: Timing Cover cracked