3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

The truck Dodge should have built

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrofossil
I got to say, those bumpers are Sexy! You might want to start up a home business selling bumpers for the 3rd gens. Just saying, pretty clean!
Thanks but no way I could make money at that.
The hrs that went into them could never be recovered.
I suppose if we setup with some jigs it would cut the time but still I don't think people want to pay more than $400 for a bumper and I would have to charge at least double that.
We have seen on this forum in the past where a bunch of people say they would buy a product that a member has designed and when that person actually builds some to sell they have no takers. :<(

Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
99dieselnut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVguy, I spoke with Chad at SOS diagnostics and he said they have never worked with the cummins or the ECM, I'm just wondering what he did to help and if you were able to get all of the electronics working and if the VINs now match, I currently live in upstate NY which has vehicle inspections however I am a Florida resident so I can register the truck there where there is no inspection...trying to find out if the swap can be done in an inspection state

Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM
EVguy
Veteran

SOS just did the VIN in the DAKOTA ECM and not the Cummins one.
I have not found anyone that can tune the Cummins ECM.
I'm pretty happy with the performance now with larger injectors, different turbo and a boost fooler.
The only thing I would still like to do is a bit more RPM before the rev limiter cuts in.
Its governed to 2600RPM and I would like to go to 3200 to make 1st and 2nd gear a bit nicer to use.
Those gears are close in the NV4500 so your pretty much shifting into third by the time you get through an intersection if you stopped at it.
The only dash light that is a problem is the MIL and I just disconnected it.
I don't think you could get rid of all the Dakota ECM codes since so many of the sensors are no longer on the truck but since its not actually controlling the engine its not a problem.
I have started to put VW TDI's into Rangers and Jeeps as a sideline and a couple of people have put them into Dakota's but I still think you would have problems passing an inspection.
http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/

Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM
EVguy
Veteran

Its hard to believe its been 6 years since I built this truck!
Still my daily driver and has been on many road trips around North America, mostly towing.
It launched me into my new business which has been pretty successful, people like diesels!
http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/
I'd love to stuff 35's under it but cant lift anymore or the wife wont be able to get in.
Need some custom control arms to move the front tires forward an inch or two.
So many ideas, so little time. ;>)

Old 10-22-2018, 11:19 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Who hosts your site?

My firewall is blocking access to your site and usually for good reason. Who is it hosted with?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Thanks for the heads up.
Very timely, I just pulled the trigger on a new website and one thing they mention with the new higher fees was a security certificate that my current host does not provide.
Be a few weeks before the new site is up, same URL.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been wondering if you do EV conversions also? since you've got the user name.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Yup, this has been my main business for the last 28 years: http://www.canev.com/
Don't do much private conversion stuff now that you can buy them from the factory but we do a lot of commercial vehicle stuff. Zamboni and airport truck conversions are a growing part of our business now, The main part of the business is the Might-E Truck which we build from the ground up. http://www.canev.com/might_e_truck.php

Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Motohead1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote 35s! Just install one of those small hide away steps that pops out when you open the door. lift and bigger tires are so easy on the 3rd gens.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Oh, don't even get me started on 35's.
Need custom upper and lower control arms to move the hubs forward 1 1/2" to clear the cab.
If I was not trying to figure out my next truck project I would be heading to 35's but starting to feel my age and looking at something with an automatic....on man I cant believe I just said that in public.
I don't think I can get an Allison 2000 under the cab of the Dakota, they are huge.
Not interested in anymore lift. 35's, flares or TT fenders and the Allison would make me happy.
A 1500 with TT fenders, no lift and 37's with the same Cummins ISB170 with the Allison 2000 would also be pretty cool and tick all my need box's.
Just not sure I want a full size truck.

Quick Reply: The truck Dodge should have built