3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Many thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
muddinbill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many thoughts

Hey all, started on this forum 3ish years ago then wrecked my 05 and got a new silver 06 but been too swamped with college to do anything to my new dak. Well now I'm back since if graduated and have a big boy job I can afford all the upgrades I want to make. Just bought The an E-fan and going to get a relay on Friday, hopefully installed over the weekend. My biggest question for another mod is what kind of paint did ya'll use (those who have done it) to paint the stock wheels black? spray can? Powder coat? etc. Also for those who have painted their chrome grill what kind of paint did you use for that and did it require any stripping? sanding? etc. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I think a lot of guys plasti-dip their wheels. Another option is powder coating them. It's all in the prep. I bought my paint for my grill from imatch paint, perfect factory paint. Again, it's all in the prep. I sanded mine with like 1000 grit sandpaper to rough it up and then used self etching primer. Some also recommend using an adhesion promotor, but I never had a problem just sanding, priming and painting.

Do you have a superchips tuner yet?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM
muddinbill
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I think a lot of guys plasti-dip their wheels. Another option is powder coating them. It's all in the prep. I bought my paint for my grill from imatch paint, perfect factory paint. Again, it's all in the prep. I sanded mine with like 1000 grit sandpaper to rough it up and then used self etching primer. Some also recommend using an adhesion promotor, but I never had a problem just sanding, priming and painting.

Do you have a superchips tuner yet?

That's what I was looking to do with the grill but I'm going to do mine black. Thanks for the suggestion on the rims, how does the plasti-dip hold up for people that have used it on the rims? also should I take my tires of first or should I be good to just tape and paint.

No superchips, I have looked into tuners but the problem is that I have a 3.7L.... After all of my research I have done on here the only one that will work for that is the Hypertech 52501. I'm still tossing around that Idea.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:41 PM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plastidipped mine first to see how it looked. It held up ok. The worst was cleaning the brake dust on them. It is a real PITA. The brake dust sticks to that rubber coating like nothing else. When I got new tires, the machine used to mount them ripped the dip around the rim, so I had to tear the rest off. Since I still wanted to keep the flat black look, I decided to go permanent. I used rustoleum heavy duty after sanding and priming. Looks good and is holding up very well. It was pretty soft a couple weeks after application but it has since hardened. MUCH MUCH easier to clean too. If you're going to do your wheels with permanent paint, take the tires off. It'll be a LOT easier. With plastidip, you dont need to tape anything off. Just apply thick enough coats and it will peel off the tire when youre finished. (Too thin a coat and it wont peel off as well)

For body paint, I'd recommend imatch paint (google it), it's the cheapest I could find too. I ordered the large spray cans when I did my Mopar rear mud flaps. Looked like a direct match.

Last edited by dsimm87; 06-05-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Be sure and get the 2 part clearcoat if you get the paint from imatch (NMB paint sales). That is what sets them apart from other places that sells rattle can paint. That 2-part clearcoat is professional grade and looks absolutely fantastic.

Dont use tape. Get a cheap deck of cards and stiuck them under the rim edge:

Last edited by jkeaton; 06-05-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
muddinbill
Rookie

Thanks for the I-Match suggestion dsimm87

Be sure and get the 2 part clearcoat if you get the paint from imatch (NMB paint sales). That is what sets them apart from other places that sells rattle can paint. That 2-part clearcoat is professional grade and looks absolutely fantastic.

Dont use tape. Get a cheap deck of cards and stiuck them under the rim edge:
Do you know of any 2 stage clear coats out there in a spray can? The only ones I know of require a paint gun in which I do not have...

Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Originally Posted by muddinbill

Do you know of any 2 stage clear coats out there in a spray can? The only ones I know of require a paint gun in which I do not have...
Go to imatchpaint.com. Factory color DuPont paint in spray cans and 2 stage clearcoat in cans. Fast and easy, all coats are applied within 10 minutes of each other and are an absolute match to factory paint. (because it's DuPont paint like the factory uses) Just a heads up on the clearcoat, when you activate the can, the contents must be used within 24 hours. so make sure you're ready with everything you want to clearcoat.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 06-05-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by muddinbill

I just told you in an earlier post....imatch paint (NMB paint sales)

http://www.imatchpaint.com/index.php...&products_id=4

Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
muddinbill
Rookie

I just told you in an earlier post....imatch paint (NMB paint sales)

http://www.imatchpaint.com/index.php...&products_id=4

Oh, ok my apologies. I thought you were just talking about the color and not the clear coat. Thanks for the advise man.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

No worries. Just make sure your prep is spot on.

Quick Reply: Many thoughts