3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I know this is such an overused topic for a post... but unlike most people who are asking for exhaust on what type they should get, there are some differences with my situation. Okay so I want to get a better exhaust because I'm installing a CAI and I know the engine needs to both breathe better (CAI)and release better (Exhaust) toget the maximum effect ofboth...anywayI want a new exhaust, I'm looking for the best performance wise...and preferablythe quiestest one...but, the most important thing is performance. That being said I know absolutelynothing about exhaust systems... Idon't know what I need to replace, how to do it, what type of things are better... I've heard you guys talk about thecross over pipes and straight pipes and different kinda bending....all that stuff goes right over my head... so any input...with as much detail as possible would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Exhaust

that being said, ive heard flowmasters have horrible efficiency...idk if its true or whatever, but u might want to look into Corsa and Magnaflow and B...it starts with a B, i cant think of it...sorry

Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Borla??

Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

yes than you

Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Casper50
Veteran

I think if you are going for performancewithout thelooks then you should keep the single exhaust. When you do that you should replace the end of the "Y" pipe which is where the 2 pipes from the exhaust manifolds gather. You should do this because they are very restricted there from the factory. It's cheaper for a manufacturer to just squeeze the 2 pipes into one so they basically just smash the pipes into a small oval shape and weld them into the pipe. If you get it replaced make sure the shop cuts and welds the 2 pipes together without squeezing them down. From there you should dump it into a 2.75" to 3" pipe and to a high-flow muffler. I personally like the sound of Magnaflow. Then send it out the back to a location you choose. If that setup is too loud then just throw a long glasspack (resonator)in where you can fit it and it will deaden the sound a lot without restricting exhaust flow very much. You would be pretty happy with that set up.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

About how much would you estimate something like that would cost...?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

What about something like this?? http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2569437.aspx

Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

i like the x-pipe setup with the duel outlet...wish they had one on each side rather than next to eachother....

Old 04-19-2007, 01:11 PM
ThunderStick
Rookie

Magnaflow cat-back works real well. I just installed it on my '05 Dakota, 4.7 L. Sounds great, looks good.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Casper50
Veteran

I like the duel setup as well but you can get pretty much the same performance out of a single setup on these trucks. I personally won't buy a pre-made system because they are way over priced. Just find a good shop that is know for good work. Ask them what the best setup would be for your truck and your needs.

Quick Reply: Exhaust