3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

LED Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED Question

ORIGINAL: jimboscomp

I dont know about your truck, but mine takes the 194 for the front dome lights as well. I know some of the guys on here had festoons for their front dome lights, I think that was 06+, mine's an 05. I've tried buying reflective paint, and honestly after about 3 days it becomes dull. The chrome paint has metal flakes that come to the surface, and over the course of "drying" they kinda fade away, it was the worst $5 I had ever spent on paint. The flank lights put out way more lights than the others, and were a good idea.

To take off the tail lights, you'll need an allen wrench, can't remember what size. Let down your tail gate and there are 2 screws on each side that when unscrewed the tail light fixture just pops off. upload pics of the reverse lights you got. I was thinking about going with them but decided to get the high power refractors a while back; absolutely no complaints so I'm not changing them for a while.

And bad veng is right, LEDs never fade in color over time, their design prevents such crap from happening, and last a whole lot longer too!

I'd say for those dome lights, I personally would go with the 25, our dome fixtures are about 2"x2", and a little shaving of the interior parts will make them fit if they're a tad bit too large.
thanks jimbo, ive been wondering where you went! mine is an 06 and i have festoons. idk what size yet and thanks for the heads up on reflective paint.
ill have to order the flank lights, but on some of vleds 194s it says its interchangeable with other bulbs and i remember one of their 194s was interchangable with w/e part number our 3rd brake light bulbs were, so i may try that and if it doesnt work jsut maybe keep these as a spare.

when it comes to the SMTs and Power Refractors, what made you decide to go with the PRs over the SMTs...i got the 27led SMTs because i figured more leds = more light. led per led, will either the smts or prs put out more lummens than the other? or is it strictly just dif technology to produce the same amount of light? and was there a big differance in your prs and your stock bulb?

thanks again and thanks for tellin me where the screws are for the taillights. also, when pulling out the lamps, is it easy to break off a clip like on the front lamps[:@]

Old 07-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

and about those flank 194s (90 deg angled one) my only concern is that the led isnt far enough to the top of the chip to get the light thru the plastic "window" and instead will be to short and no light emitted

Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

and what about one of these instead of resistors
http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=62

Old 07-20-2007, 12:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are OK if you are replacig ALL the turns with LED's they poof if you have regular bulbs or put one back in by mistake

Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

where do they plug in at?

and btw guys, those bulbs i put in my liscense plate fit and work great in my 3rd brake light....for now i put my "hid like" bulbs back, but those 90 degree flank leds are on their way

Old 07-20-2007, 03:15 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

our trucks can't take the plug in flasher fix boxes, no place for it.

As for the 194s, they're interchangable with the 921 bulbs, they have the same socket. So if you wanted to you could use the 194 for the cargo lights...probably not bright enough though, need the HIGH POWER! lol. I believe, now correct me if I'm wrong, the SMT leds dont have as many LED chips in them, which doesn't make each bulb as bright as the high power (and not to mention the high power non-SMTs are less expensive ). Personally I'm waiting for the 3 or 5w LEDs to start showing up on the bulbs, a refractor version of those with only say 5 of those would be way brighter than any of the ones available at the moment.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

well they have the regular "high power smt's" with 18 led bulbs, but i bought the "high power smt's" with 27 leds...its a bit bigger....

as for the high power refracters, they have the 13 leds and thats all thats available.

as for the 194 in the cargo light...honestly, my cargo light serves no purpose as i dont need to look in my bed and i CANT look in my bed using the cargo light. i may upgrade for kicks later, but honestly, my cargo light is basically just for looks...i do have lights in my bed under the tonneau, but again, the cargo light cannot emit any light down there so its pretty useless.

Quick Reply: LED Question