3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stupid question time...Converting ST to SLT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stupid question time...Converting ST to SLT.

yeah but anyway have you heard about the SRT-8 dakota? supposidley coming out with the 6.1L V8??? you heard about that? heard about it from a buddy at Chrysler! do you know how hot that would be? god 425 horsepower in that truck would kill Evo's and STI's now that would be hot to say....yeah i beat STI's and EVO's and no one believes you until you beat one of their buddies!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
BrewerBob
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

oh and btw... white25golf... when you mention GD... in ur signature... I mean most ppl don't know what GD is... sooo... do you work at GD or are you in the service??
Any openings? GD-AIS (Advanced Informatioin Systems) sucks donkey *****. I used to work at Talla-Com in Tallahassee. They were a sub for GD-Land before it became GD-Land. That GD now makes the wiring harnesses for the same tank. The GD I work for is all computer foresnics and clueless.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM
BrewerBob
Professional

ORIGINAL: 06dak

OK people...

I was looking at '06 STs for awhile and all the stuff you were talking about was an option or standard on 1 package or another...
- the center console was a $75 option
- the center seat with storage was like a $200 option
- the ST"C" package came with tilt/cruise
I think they mixed it up a bit for '07

As for making your own, it wouldn't be that bad IF you didn't care about matching the standard appearance (using aftermarket parts). I remember seeing aftermarket packages for windows around $280,locks for around $100, and cruise was almost $250. That's just parts, install would be more. You might be able to rig these to work with the Dodge switches to give a good appearance, but you'll still have the holes for the crank windows to contend with. As for the harnesses I doubt the wires are there. The way they get that price down is by eliminating a lot of that stuff, and that's a lot of extra wires they didn't need.
There shouldn't be any holes in the doors. The plan is to raid the junkyards. Steal the door panel and everything. I'm far too cheap to pay a Stealership for the parts. After putting down $3k, I'm out of cash anyway so if I have to wait a year or so, that's fine too. Gives you knuckleheads more time to wreck your trucks for me!![8D]

I doubt the harnesses are different. The more changes they make, the less of a discount their suppliers will give them. It's actually cheaper to buy one harness than trying to order, track, make changes to, etc multiple harnesses.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM
BACKnBLACK
Professional

I have an ST with the "C" package (center console, SLT rims, tilt steering wheel, etc.). It's an SLT "light" without power or chrome. For us club cabbers with the manual package, reaching over to unlock is no big deal, butin a quad cab? I would prefer the power package. However, Brewer, there are a few things you could do to spruce up the base ST you have (rims, new tires, K&N kit, new exhaust, etc.). Creating an SLT from an ST is doable. But you will more than likely have to buy new parts instead of finding parts on ebay or at a junkyard because this version of the Dak is "toddler". I have a complete list of all of the parts with part numbers and cost if you want it. I can email it to you. I have it as a PDF. One mod that would put you in the right direction towards a SLT would be fog lights. Avondale Dodge and Mopar4Less on ebay both sell OEM fog kits for our truck (between $122.00 and $139.00 plus shipping). There is a DIY on this site (or the other DT site). I have ordered my set and will be installing them in a few weeks. I have put about $3K into my ST and it's just about where I want it to be. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:14 PM
BrewerBob
Professional

ORIGINAL: BACKnBLACK

I have an ST with the "C" package (center console, SLT rims, tilt steering wheel, etc.). It's an SLT "light" without power or chrome. For us club cabbers with the manual package, reaching over to unlock is no big deal, butin a quad cab? I would prefer the power package. However, Brewer, there are a few things you could do to spruce up the base ST you have (rims, new tires, K&N kit, new exhaust, etc.).
Ok, here's the confusing part...

I'm not interested in cosmetic changes. And I want to reduce weight not add it. But... I would like the center and power. Yes, I know both are gonig to add weight. And yes I suppose both could be considered cosmetic. I prefer to think of them as practical.

As I just filled up this morning for the first time, I am VERY interested in the K&N, cat-back, and everything else to improve mileage (not performance to go faster). 18.85 gallons @ $2.67 and 304 miles= my *** going broke fast!!! That was only 16.12 miles per gallon. I kept it under 2000 rpms almost the entire time. Dodge was lying out of their *** if they said 20 mpg with a straight face.

Creating an SLT from an ST is doable. But you will more than likely have to buy new parts instead of finding parts on ebay or at a junkyard because this version of the Dak is "toddler".
Not sure I follow. Dakota is Dakota (within gens). Sheet metal and bolt holes don't move. Door panels may change but attaching hardware and the like won't change. Stealing an inner door panel off an '06 SLT and slapping it on an '06 ST shouldn't be a problem.

I have a complete list of all of the parts with part numbers and cost if you want it. I can email it to you. I have it as a PDF.
I haven't dug around here too much or even really paid much attention but that PDF sounds like something everyone could use. Can't you attach it in a post and make it a sticky? That's what the RX-7 forum does (vbullentin). My Sentra site (phpBB)doesn't do attachments but allows links.

One mod that would put you in the right direction towards a SLT would be fog lights. Avondale Dodge and Mopar4Less on ebay both sell OEM fog kits for our truck (between $122.00 and $139.00 plus shipping). There is a DIY on this site (or the other DT site). I have ordered my set and will be installing them in a few weeks. I have put about $3K into my ST and it's just about where I want it to be. Good luck!
$3k would have gotten me an SLT. Guess you missed the "my cheap" part. I mean Ebizener cheap!!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BrewerBob

Creating an SLT from an ST is doable. But you will more than likely have to buy new parts instead of finding parts on ebay or at a junkyard because this version of the Dak is "toddler".
Not sure I follow. Dakota is Dakota (within gens). Sheet metal and bolt holes don't move. Door panels may change but attaching hardware and the like won't change. Stealing an inner door panel off an '06 SLT and slapping it on an '06 ST shouldn't be a problem.
What he's saying is that our Dakotas (3rd Gen) are toddlers because they've only been aroundfrom 05 til current production... this being said it makes in-tact parts hard to find... especially parts off an SLT because your limiting not only thestyle ofDakota but also the Trim Level...

Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
BACKnBLACK
Professional

Brewer, I wasonly giving advise. I didn't need a critique of everything I said. If you don't like the truck you bought, take it back or sell it. That seems like your simplest solution at this point.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
BrewerBob
Professional

Brewer, I wasonly giving advise. I didn't need a critique of everything I said. If you don't like the truck you bought, take it back or sell it. That seems like your simplest solution at this point.
I wasn't critiguing. With your truck, you did what you what. If that's putting blinking washer nozzles on it, fine. I don't have to like it or do it to mine. And I don't think I was picking on your "washer nozzles" either. Or at least that wasn't my intent.

What I WAS trying to do is explain my idea of changes and why. Not always easy especially considering they often conflict in my own head, then add the internet, and lack of tone, inflection, etc and you get a real mess real quick. For each of your suggestions I was trying to list a why or why not for what I'd do. The purpose was to give background and give insight before the next round of questions/suggestions. For example, the fog lights. Not really my thing. So, continuing down that path I would add the roll bar thingy behind the cab with all of the lights on it. When done right, they look great and are even useful (not merely pretty boy toys) but since I'm not leaving the pavement to hunt kagaroos at night (sorry the Crocodile Dundee scene came to mind) I don't need it.

Alright, hopefully that straightens everything out. Now, back to the questions (in random order it appears)...

I was critiquing or questioning the forum. The PDF file you mentioned... can it be attached or linked?

Curtiplas cleared up the toddler part. I was thinking size not age. And what he and everyone else says about parts is bound to be true. If not for the age, then for the fact that I now have one. Murphy's Law is not kind to me in anything.

I don't remember if you've answered this before or if it's in your sig but what ga mileage improvements have you done? Those are where the money is at. I've no idea what a cat-back costs for a truck but they are $400 or so for the Sentra. $400 isn't a lot in most people's books but it is in mine. Married with Children wasn't a sit-come. It was a documentry!! (add smiley here)

As for the $3grand and your take it back comment...$3k isn't worth converting the ST to an SLT (to me). After seeing the gas mileage, taking it back would seem like a good idea but... Non-SLT and gas mileage or not, I'm keeping it.

Clear as mud now?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Depending on the size of it he could attach the PDF file (attachments are limited on size). He can always upload it to something like Filefront, megaupload, rapidshare, etc and then link to it here.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
BrewerBob
Professional

I can host it too if need be...

Quick Reply: Stupid question time...Converting ST to SLT.