3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Toyota or Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota or Dodge?

Hello everyone, I'm a diesel guy, but barely being able to afford a big truck not including fuel has driven me to consider downsizing. I'm looking at either a Dakota or Tacoma. Both spankin' new. Both 4x4.Both4 door. Both around 30K. The only reason I'm considering the Taco is because there is a 6" lift that looks like it can take a jump or two, and will clear 35"s, and a supercharger that is said to make the 4.0 wake up. However, the Dakota has a 4.7 which I know is packin' some power, and the always welcomed leather interior, But is there a comparable lift? Or Super/Turbo kit? I'm all about big tires and big power, and I'll work day and night to be able to afford both. Please, show me the light, and let me know that I dont have to be a sell out. Thank you anyone who replies.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Cuban11182
All Star
Default RE: Toyota or Dodge?

Well as far as a lift kit there are 2 reasonable options... the 3 body lift and the 2 leveling kit. There are a couple of custom made kits, but too pricey IMO. The 4.7 is a good motor. They do sell a supercharger, which I am contemplating. But with a FIPK, power wire mod, exhaust, it makes the truck alot better...You also have a jet chip that you can put on..There are a couple of complaints about the suspension being too soft, but mine only has 5000 miles and although it is a little springy its not too bad. i took my quad cab 4x4 4.7 with the posi to the beach for the first time the otherr dad...Sugar sand full psi in BFG tires and I had no problems...Did hit bumpstops twice though but hey thats what they are there for.

My opinion, and what I am planning on doingg is Dodge is suppose to be putting diesels in the dakota, so if they do that I wont be getting the super charger but getting the new Dakota

Old 08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I forgot to say with the electric fan, muffler removal, K&N FIPK tonneau cover I get between 16-18mpg city

Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 PM
RealityCheck
Rookie

Ipreviously an '05 Tacoma double cab 4X4 long bed, TRD Sport, automatic. I currently own a 2006 Dakota club cab SLT automatic, 4.7 High Output V8, AWD.

My thoughts:
The V6 Tacoma is much quicker than the HO V8 Dakota. Instrumented road testing proves it and the difference is very apparent when you're behind the wheel.

The Tacoma has much better sorted out suspension. The Dakota suspension settings are horrific. It pitches and bobs. It even manages to be too harsh and too soft at the same time. Simply horrible. Hopefull, the aftermarket will come up with something to fix this.

The Dakota sucks gas at an unbelievable rate. My Tacoma typically managed around 19mpg, the Dakota less than 15.

The Dakota is available with full-time AWD, the Tacomais not.

Real world prices (as opposed to MSRP) for the Dakotaare much cheaper than the Tacoma.

The Dakota engine sounds much cooler.

The Dakota has a bigger bed.

The Dakota has a lower bed lift-over.

The interior quality of the Tacoma is much better. I dislike the interior styling on bothtrucks.

The Tacoma's front end is disproportionately large compared to the rest of the truck. It's hard to see what is directly in front of the truck. The Dak is much better in this respect.

I find both trucks to be fairly ugly, but most of my friends/coworkers think the Dakota is much uglier than the Tacoma.

So far, my Dakota has been more reliable than my Tacoma.

Dakotas seem to depreciate in value rapidly.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Thanks Cuban, I appreciate it. And RealityCheck, that was straight up, thank you for being so honest about your experiences. I hate to say it, but I think it sounds like the Tacoma is the best for the money. To me, just because of the suspension. My brother has a white'05 taco with a 3" lift and 33" procomp xterrains on black rims and it is tight. I guess if it turns out that I have to pull the trigger and downsize, I'll be burning rice. Thanks again guys.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Personally, if you're going to downsize.....you are going to only lose out in both value and dependability. Both trucks are mere shadows of a 2500HD, not to mention you'd actually get better gas mileage in the vehicle you own.

Personally, the smartest thing you could do is buy a cheap econobox car to drive....

Old 08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Or a motorcycle.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

I would seriously look at a Nissan Frontier. I am still kicking myself for not looking at them closer. I was able to sit in one at the philly auto show and was very impressed with it. The prices I have seen on them are really good too. I love my dakota but the lack of aftermarket support for the dakota makes me wish I got something else. You could probably get a frontier se 4x4 long bed with a load of options including a sunroof for 2 or 3 grand less than a dakota. I didn't like the tacoma. I couldn't find a comfortable driving position. The frontier is much better than the tacoma I think. My major beef with the dakota is the suspension and lack of a full lift kit. Other than that though the dakota is a fine truck. I have had no problems with mine.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$30k sounds really high for a dak btw. Might want to look around a bit more, to me the Taco is a nice truck but I've never thought Toyota was worth the price difference, at least around here they're a lot more. Rumor is the Dak will get a Cummins diesel (don't know what size) in 2010 but that's a long time to wait if you're looking now.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
texasbluedak

I think as you can tell, the biggest gripe we dakota owers have is the lack of aftermarket goodies and our overall suspensions. I agree with Devil, you really aren't going to come out that much ahead by "downsizing", especially if fuel costs are the main thing and then you talk about supercharging. The two will never equate. You need to think about downsizing IF you dont have kids or alot of "stuff" that you need behind the cab AND you aren't going to be towing/hauling anything heavy. One of the main reasons I picked the dakota was being able to put my three boys in the back seats. The Taco and the frontier were way too small for them. The other was the price. Went by the dealer where I bought my truck and he has an 06' Ram Powerwagon with 18K miles and asking $24K. If I was truck shopping today, it would be in my driveway right now! Thesalesman said no one has even looked at it. Stay big and just pay for the gas, at least you know you will find plenty of full size aftermarket stuff and can out pull/haul any of the trucks you areconsidering. Just my opinion!!! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Toyota or Dodge?