3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Toyota or Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toyota or Dodge?

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins

I think the best thing I can do for mileage is regear and slow down. Randy's ring and pinion has the package deal to switch to 4.56s for $1200. Right now I'm running the stock 3.73s. I think that could help a lot. As for slowing down, that Sh** aint happening. I live/commute right along the Texas/mexico border and the mexican nationals drive like there still in mexico, its the scariest thing in the world driving your 40K $ truck next to a vw that doesn't signal when changing lanes and drives in the turn lane. I just tune her up to highway speed and no one can keep up.
My advice would be to get with Drew, Steve05ram360, and DieselDemon, and ask for some ideas. These guys are highly knowledgable in the diesel field and are capable of helping you get the most bang for your buck.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
moosehunter
Professional

Well, I can't tell you about in the state but here in Canada I made the research last year when I was about to purchase my truck... My first choice was the 2006 Tacoma TRD5 Sport off road automatic, almost fully loaded. Second choice was the Dakota TRX 4 2006 V8 HO.

both prices at $42,000 CDN,
Toyota no dealling but the were given free mud flap and mud carpet. interest rate at 7.9% for 60 months.
Dakota, dealt the truck at $35500 and 0% interest rate for 60 months.

Toyota had a way better resale value, a nicer truck but was it really worth that much, NOPE, not for me. But the Dakota as alway been good and reliable for me and my kind of ridding. Since this one is my 5th but I was really decided to change brand but... I didn't had that kind of money.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM
RealityCheck
Rookie

ORIGINAL: moosehunter

Well, I can't tell you about in the state but here in Canada I made the research last year when I was about to purchase my truck... My first choice was the 2006 Tacoma TRD5 Sport off road automatic, almost fully loaded. Second choice was the Dakota TRX 4 2006 V8 HO.

both prices at $42,000 CDN,
Toyota no dealling but the were given free mud flap and mud carpet. interest rate at 7.9% for 60 months.
Dakota, dealt the truck at $35500 and 0% interest rate for 60 months.

Toyota had a way better resale value, a nicer truck but was it really worth that much, NOPE, not for me. But the Dakota as alway been good and reliable for me and my kind of ridding. Since this one is my 5th but I was really decided to change brand but... I didn't had that kind of money.

Good luck!
Exactly. My 2005 Tacoma double cab long bed 4X4 TRD Sport and my 2006 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4.7 HO 4X4 had almost identical MSRPs, but the delivered price on the Dakota was $5,500 less. Plus, my Dakota has some things the Toyota didn't - AWD, power drivers seat, heated outside mirrors, Soundbox, etc. Despite my complaints about the Dakota in my previous post, in the end I just don't think the Tacoma was worth the extra money.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Billiam
Champion

Hell a Titan would also be a nice option.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Well, the Titan ain't gonna provide the gas mileage relief he's looking for....that V-8 is gonna be thirsty. The diesel might be the best way to go, really. I bet it's getting similar or better MPGs than the Dak or Taco get.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just glad he didn't say that the Honda Ridgeline was an option. That's not even a real truck... or vehicle.

I'll be honest with you, I have owned two trucks total. My first truck of course was a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport. I loved that truck and wouldn't trade it in for another one, then I went in to my dealership to get an oil change andI walked out with the 05 brand new. I have the Laramie, and I love my truck.

As far as the aftermarket, there's a lot more than people realize for our trucks. A supercharger, cams, CAI, exhaust, etc, for the engine is out there, but not enough cosmetic stuff.

Wait another month when they come out with the new 08's with the new 4.7L. More power and better fuel efficeincy and it'll work on flex fuel.

If you're looking for towing capacity, the Taco isn't going to keep up with the Daks. The V8's vs the V6's is like comparing apples and oranges.

I haven't heard anything stating that the daks are getting the cummings. As far as I know, we're suppose to get a diesle engine, and I'm imagining it'll be a 3.0 since they carry 375lbs of tq and 215 hp. That's what they're putting into the Grand Cherokees.

Quick Reply: Toyota or Dodge?