3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise on startup

damn guys i just hit 46000 on my 05 and the only time it went back to the dealer was for the fluid change. still riding on the factory tires, brakes, ****ty frt shocks . and i still beat the snot out of it everday. it really likes the 120 mph pulls i do on the way home from work at night. have no need to trade it in for an 08, dont want the power loss.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
coder33404
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little update on this. My Dodge dealer called today and told me a brand new motor is on it's way. They arent taking any chances with this because it will be a full engine "including heads". It wont be in for a week but then it will take another 3 to 5 days to get dropped in. It seems like our lemon law has had an impact on car dealers morals.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM
viper359
Professional

Must be nice.... I have a service manager here that is tearing into dodge on the phone, as when I took my truck in the trying to be a disiel, he yelled and screamed at Chrysler on the phone.... This guy is actually trying to look out for my interests. He even told me the next time it does it, to call him, he wants to hear it over the phone, since they are having a hard time reproducing the sound when they have my truck.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:08 PM
coder33404
Rookie

Actually I am glad we seem to be in the minority with this problem. I'm glad most are not having any problems with their trucks but for the sake of the few of us who are affected, information is power. Viper359, My Dodge dealer had to fight with Dodge Corporate as well but won out in the end. They told me that Dodge kept giving them different tests to run so they kept doing them tell they finally gave in and authorized a new motor for the truck. The dealership couldn't hear the noise until I went there and pointed it out in person. After that they could reproduce it every time without my help. Mine is easy to hear if you listen at the wheel well but it doesn't start till the truck is running for 60 to 90 seconds. Most of the people at a dealership will only listen for that long and then say they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
coder33404
Rookie

OK, new engine is installed and there are no more lemons in this truck. The engine is perfect now and seems even stronger than it was before. I wonder if I was loosing some power due to the problem or if this on is just a better performer. I only have 100 miles on it but so far it's perfect. I cant believe it only took my dodge dealer 2 days to complete. You cant even tell they did anything except for the fact that it is obviously shiny brand new steel and it doesn't make any more clattering sounds. Worked out to being almost exactly 10,000 miles when the new engine went in so it will be easy to figure out how many miles this one has on it and It's almost like I got 10,000 free miles. Well at 13 MPG I guess they weren't exactly free.

Viper 359, how is your dealer doing fighting this battle?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
nowick
Professional

just dropped mine off,see what they come up with this time. hopefully they will set me up with a new motor. this will be the seceond time in for this issue.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
coder33404
Rookie

Have them get in contact with Glen Thomas Dodge in Signal Hill, California for more information. The service managers name who got this done for me is Adrian. He had to do all kinds of BS that Dodge made him do to be able to get it taken care of properly but in the end he got the job done. Dodge will have a record of the problem also since I'm sure it cost them in excess of $4,000.00. Don't know exactly but the regular service guy said the motor alone cost way over 2 grand and then they had to install it, never mind the hours of diagnostic tests they did prior to that. I think our lemon law was weighing heavily on their minds to put down that kind of cash for a warranty repair. I know Dodge doesn't want to buy any more of these back. Good luck with yours and anyone else out there having this problem. I am a happy camper now but it was really sucking for a long time.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM
coder33404
Rookie

One more thing, this must be a real problem for Dodge right now because they had a hard time even getting a new 4.7 HO from the factory. They said they are very short on supply and I could be wrong but I'm guessing it may be due to our problems.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

eather that or they stoped making them for the new motor

Quick Reply: Engine noise on startup