3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer gave no insight about long term affects. I knew a guy with a Silverado that had the same problem and he never did anything about it and now has 190k on it. Doesn’t matter because it is a fault and was never designed to be that way. If you can live with it then more than likely the truck will too. Just pisses me off that they never really admitted that they have a problem and take chances every time they sell one of these things that it may be a POS without a definite fix at the factory.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM
pack154
Professional

What exactly is a lifter? I apologize in advance if it comes across as a stupid question. I'm just not familiar with this.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

No push rods in our engines. The cams moves a rocker arm assembly that pushes the lifter like lash adjuster (like a small shock absorber) and pushes on the valve stem up/down. The lash adjusters (like old lifter but not) is in-between the valve stem and rocker arm that mechanically hydraulically automatically takes up too much space from ware. Somewhere something went wrong either in design of the engine or the adjusters. Could be an intermittent tolerance problem in assembling the engines or some lots of lash adjuster aren’t right. Why the sound is mostly heard from the right side may be do to a tolerance problem on that side. Best that I can do to answer your question.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM
pack154
Professional

Thanks Gray! I learn something new every day.

Quick Reply: Engine noise on startup