3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
herkguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise on startup

I have been trouble free with my 06' HO for 15k, my 01' 4.7 went 77k trouble free and ran strong.
I did, however, have a problem with my 94 5.2l at 95k. While it was in the shop for some suspension work the dealer didsomething to it and it started vibrating between 1000-1500RPM. It was under factory 100k waranty and to Dodges credit, they dropped in a new short block at 95K. Never thought it would happenandthey did it without much resistance.Of course they through some money at it first(new clutch, engine mounts, transfer case) LOL if I hadn't needed a quad cab for the kids I would still be drivig the 94.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 AM
coder33404
Rookie

I had an 02 Quad and never had any problems with it, best truck I ever owned. If you haven't had any problems with your 06 HO by 15,000 miles you never will. Mine started screwing up right away, I think it was there from the very beginning but I didn't recognize it till I got used to the truck and it got a little louder around 500 or a 1000 miles.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I’m glade your right with the situation. I know first hand of the aggravation associated with your engine sounding like a want-a-be diesel. My entire process with the lemon law or buy back on my 06 went over a year from first complaint to the 07 replacement. I hope anyone with this known engine situation with a Dak or any 4.7 gets satisfaction from Dodge. To much hard earned money there to ignore. I heard some who had their engines torn down and got them back with the problem still there and just gave up still riding with the problem. We do what we must do to hold them accountable and not let them hide in excuseville.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I put mine in the shop before with this problem, mines a non-ho and they just tell me the cant duplicate the problem, maybe ill print this out and take it up there too

Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
tuffone20
Professional

OK, so today I get upto take my son to work and while I'm waiting for him I remember some one on here saying they could hear the noise from the wheelwell area, so I get out and IBASOB I hear the noise!! So ASAP I'll be taking my truck in and having them look at it and I too will print this out and take it to them and see what they have to say....................

Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The noise is mostly heard from the right bank and on guy recorded the noise and posted it on another forum. He recorded it from the right wheel well. I did the same and made a CD of it and gave it to the dealer and he gave it to the then DCX factory rep. It was not designed this way so it’s a problem that must be corrected with minimal impact to the customer.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
nowick
Professional

well they need my truck for another day they can hear the noise but need to do some more testing. So I will let them do their procedures and see what they dig up. he seemed frustrated so hopefully I will get some good news. Also switching to royal purple helped out but did not rid the problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
coder33404
Rookie

What wheel well you can hear it best from seems to decide on the particular truck. Mine was more noticable on the drivers side. The key thing is to be there when they start the vehicle so you can point it out. They couldn't hear it till I did that but then they could hear it every time. You know your vehicle and they dont!

Printing this out and showing it to the dealer is a good idea for a few reasons. First, it might help them get down to the bottom of it faster and second, it will let them know you have good information to back up your position. Knowledge is power! I printed all this and gave it to the service manager and one of the two above scenarios got the job done.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
nowick
Professional

you can hear it from both wheel wells passanger side is more noticable

Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
tuffone20
Professional

I'm going to give my parts guy a call tomorrow and seeif he has heard about any problems with the 4.7 HO, he has been real good about helping me out so I feel if he knows anything he will tell me.
I just put another 1,000 miles on it while on vacation! I did the Route 66 thing, hitting most of the cool little small towns along it here in AZ.
I added 2 photos of my truck and it has NEVER been that dirty the whole time I have owned it and I got her with 5 miles and now have just over 28,000 miles on her.........

Quick Reply: Engine noise on startup