3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CB radio... Does anyone have on in their Dak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio... Does anyone have on in their Dak?

does anyone have a CB radio in their DAk? i was thinking of putting one in my Dak for long road trips and wen i go out hunting/scouting/ or just out on some trails.. i haven't really looked in to them at all yet just want input from you guys... like where would be a good place to mount it... and what brand i should look into...Thanks oh and a few pics would be nice ...

Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran
Default RE: CB radio... Does anyone have on in their Dak?

Why yes sir i do have a CD in my Dak. I got a Cobra 19 Ultra III i got it for 35 bucks from Wal-Mart. Works really well and nice and compact! Then i went to the Truck stop and got a Firestix II antanna and some good wire. All CBs have a 4w maxium allowed by the FCC power out put. But get a really good antanna and tune it. and you will be set. I took mine to the CB shop out at the truck stop and had them tune mine. I have a 1.6SWG so im in goo shape. They said anywere between 1.1 - 1.7 is were you want to be.

As far as mounting. get creative. I put mine here:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...d/IMG_0895.jpg

i dont use my cup holders anyways. some day i will make a custom consol but till then, this works really well. I wanted it kinda down and low. so this spot was ideal and hid the wires the best.

Look into radios from Cobra, Uadian(SP?!).

Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran

Thanks... i'll have to look into it..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Has the CB technology changed since the 70s 80s? I still have two Midland units in my attic and I thought about trying them out just for fun. I saw one in a store that was 1/3 of the size of my oldMidlands. What’s the social and emergency network like these days? It is a good source of traffic info. But with GPS and cells & Nextel 2-ways etc, it seems somewhat redundant.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
luvmydak
Veteran

I was into cb radio big time back in the late '70s, early '80s. After a while I got fed up with all the morons clogging up all the channels, even worse on emergency ch 9 with idiotic chatter and foul language. It got to be impossible to get through to access any channel and finally gave up and sold my Cobra rig. I doubt if things are any better to this day. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 AM
.:Chainman:.
Amateur

I have the Cobra 29WXNWST, and it works well, but as previously posted, there are too many idiots out there, promoting prostitution, drugs, and even a preacher on 19 for an hour. It's become an idiots medium for ranting and raving.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Woa, and I thought it might had mellowed over the years. I guess I'll just leave the old Midlands in the attic.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran

Umm i wouldnt say its bad in my area. Most channels around here are wide open. hit up the ch19 trucker channel and it has alot more traffic. But i think thats cause im close to a truck stop.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I put one in temporary mount when im doing long trips and sometimes when I used to work with the trucks. ch14 was the asphalt plant. ch19 can get crazy but the others are usually ok. I have an old 1977 year royce that I had turned up to 35 watts and a texas star 250 running to a wilsom 5000 baseload. I tuned it out myself.

Quick Reply: CB radio... Does anyone have on in their Dak?