3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Factory flares

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures of '08 Factory flares on an '06

Good question. I hadn't thought about the seal from a painting standpoint. That seal is 3/16" wide and is a molded piece so you'd have a heck of a time replacing it and I don't know if paint would stick to it. Since another member asked about the gap on the front fender, I put my camera on "macro" and took a picture of the leading edge of the front flare. It shows the both the slight gap I mentioned and a good view of the rubber seal. My opinion is that if you want a painted flare you might be better off fighting with the Bushwacker flares. I've heard the fit is not great so If you go that way you might want to go ahead and put them on then get them painted in place rather than getting them painted then knocking the paint off while installing them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/81674/E00A623E266D4F67A8FE67C406CBC48C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: djsilver
I hadn't thought about the seal from a painting standpoint. That seal is 3/16" wide and is a molded piece so you'd have a heck of a time replacing it and I don't know if paint would stick to it. Since another member asked about the gap on the front fender, I put my camera on "macro" and took a picture of the leading edge of the front flare. It shows the both the slight gap I mentioned and a good view of the rubber seal.
Don, from there website
Description: Wheel Flares improve the vehicle's appearance by giving it an aggressive look. Made of flexible, durable thermoplastic, these Flares provide added protection from road debris and stone chips. Paintable, grained finish.
So I'm going to assume the seal is too, if not it would just look like a black pinstripe or VW fender

About the gap on the leading edge, it looks like the gap would disappear if you dremmeled off that extended part on the bottom inch or so of the flare. What do you think?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
djsilver
Professional

I'll let you make your own decision after you get them. At some point I'll drill out one or two rivets and try to shim/twist it into position. Your way may work as well but if it doesn't it may be harder to undo!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

I saw a silver TaCo today that had silver flares with the black seal between the fender and the flare, it did not look badat all, kinda made the flares stand out a little more.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:04 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Default RE: Factory flares

ORIGINAL: importkiller76

O yea sorry lol. The pictures are not great but you can see the flares pretty good. I don't have a picture of it, but the only bad thing abuot these flares are that they cover part of my TRX sticker on the drivers side.

Just curious what brand are you flares?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran
Default RE: Factory flares

Dropped the truck off tonite to get the flares painted & installed,
also I'm having him do the grille inserts. He said two days,
1 for paint and 1 for drying time and install.

Yea pics to follow.

Oh, by the way, pn for the flares for a
club cab is 82211015 mldg kit wheel.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

ORIGINAL: djsilver

Since another member asked about the gap on the front fender, I put my camera on "macro" and took a picture of the leading edge of the front flare. It shows the both the slight gap I mentioned . My opinion is that if you want a painted flare you might be better off fighting with the Bushwacker flares. [IMG]local://upfiles/81674/E00A623E266D4F67A8FE67C406CBC48C.jpg[/IMG]
Well, Igot the truck back tonite. The flares are on but not painted.
The body shop guy talked me out of it after seeing the flares. He said that I might have trouble with adhesion in a couple of years because of the textured finish. Since I was on the fence about painting or not I took his advice.

Thanks for the warning on the front tips not fitting. I told him about that and asked about trimming that extension a little. He said all he had to do was have someone hold it tight while someoneelse attached it to the fender, it worked no gap.

He put my mud flaps back on at the same time, the backs fit up fine but there is a gap, between the formed part of the front flaps and the bottom of the truck, that used to fitunder the piece he had to take off the body to put on the flare. Not a big thing as its all black and most folks won't notice.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
herkguy
Veteran

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

hehe...we need some pics though

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
JAB02LHS
Veteran

It's dark and it's raining!

I'll try to get some when the weather breaks?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
herkguy
Veteran

John, did the wx break yet.....can't wait for the pics

Quick Reply: Factory flares