3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Painting Your Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Painting Your Rims

Posting this today because I plan on doing this tomorrow. Please let me know if I have missed anything. Also, I will be posting pictures that I take throughout the whole process. I put to grab quite a few cans of paint and primer. That's just playing it safe. You don't wanna get it half done only to realize you need more paint. Plus you can take any extras back to the store, so save your reciept! On to painting those wheels!

You will need:
1 bucket
Dishsoap
Few rags and towels
Sandpaper (400 grit)
Paint Thinner
Wheel Paint x4 cans (use duplicolor!!)
Primer x4 (if using duplicolor you don't need primer)
Clear Coat x2 (use Valspar, got mine from Lowes, great stuff!!)
Masking Tape
Lots of old newspaper or Wal-Mart Bags
4 Garbage Bags
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...y/DSCF8209.jpg

1. Wash each wheel with soap and water; dry with towels (be sure to remove center caps before the painting begins)
2. Use the sandpaper and scuff them up all over (wet sand them if you want). By scuffing the surface you ensure that the paint will stick. You don't want it flaking off on your first cruise trying to show em off.
3. Spray wheels off with hose and dry them again.
4. Clean each wheel with paint thinner to remove any chemicals, brake dust, or even leftover sandpaper particles.
5. Mask off each wheel using the masking tape and newspaper (I actually used towels, much easier to manuever and tape down). Another approach is to use wal-mart bags instead of newspaper. Don't forget to tape off the valve stem as well! http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...y/DSCF8218.jpg
6. Prime each wheel with at LEAST 1 good coat; should only take approximately 15 minutes to dry. So when you're done with the last one, the first one should be dry. Double check that you don't have any bubbles or runs. (Good idea to set each wheel on a trash bag so you aren't painting the concrete)
7. Ensuring that the primer is dry, continue by painting each rim (2 coats preferably). Once again, double check that you don't have any bubbles or runs. If you do, let it dry and wet sand it. Repaint later.
8. If you so choose, slap a coat or two of clear coat on that bad boy. This will seal in the paint and help protect it from littles nicks and flakes. Should also give it a more "wet" look.
9. Store rims in a safe location to let them dry and make sure anything doesn't stick to them.
10. When the paint is fully dry, remove the masking tape and newspaper/wal-mart bags. Be sure to post pics on DodgeForum.com!! http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...y/DSCF8226.jpg

Few tips:

When you start painting your wheels, take a sample to spray first. You can test how dry your rims are based on this, without leaving a fingerprint on it.

Try to paint light coats with your spray can keeping it about 10-12 inches away from the wheel. This should help prevent runs and ensure your wheel looks fantastic when finished. Also, try to keep the spray direction as perpendicular as possible. Another strategy is to target the "hard to reach places" first.

Last edited by baracis; 08-23-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Few Additional Comments
Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't you want to clear coat them too?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
importkiller76
Veteran

yup you sure do, they look good without clear for a while, but after a couple weeks they look pretty dull

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Yes, thank you. I threw that in there. Good catch!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

yeah with out throwing a couple coats of clear ur paints just gonna come off- do it the right way and get some good clear-

Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

I missed it and also forgot to put it on my list...back to the store I go.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think you needed primer with the duplicolor wheel paint?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

No you do not. But I'm not using duplicolor.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
stonfootball

yeah i painted my rims black a while back and i did it when it was cold outside so i painted them inside...lol they turned out okay but i need to wire brush them and sand them back down and also primer them up this time...but i don't wanna do it right now to much going on.

Quick Reply: Painting Your Rims