3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

In the shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the shop!!

having the local shop install four new Rancho shocks from ShocksWarehouse(great site!), two new stabilizer links, new Autolite 3923s, and possibly front brakes - if needed.
Then I'm heading out to buy some alkeehol for a little Hurricane Party shin dig we're gonna throw with this massively weak weather system pushing thru NY...
good excuse as any I suppose...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

nice let us know how they ride....

Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 PM
LB
Veteran

Yes,
interested in how they ride with the tm level kit!

LB

Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

One word - SPECTACULAR!
what a freakin difference....
The ride is nice and stiff, ZERO rocking up-n-down in the front end, and it makes small to medium bumps almost not noticeable.
Before the Rancho's my truck would nearly come off the ground on the highway when driving over a good sized bump - hitting the same bump after the Rancho's proved to me that the factory shocks really are garbage.
PLUS - just like somebody else mentioned on this board - once the factory shocks were removed, I held on in my hand and was able to simply compress the piston into the shock with EASE!! I can't imagine why in the hell they were ever on the truck in the first place.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by RonnusTwo
One word - SPECTACULAR!
what a freakin difference....
The ride is nice and stiff, ZERO rocking up-n-down in the front end, and it makes small to medium bumps almost not noticeable.
Before the Rancho's my truck would nearly come off the ground on the highway when driving over a good sized bump - hitting the same bump after the Rancho's proved to me that the factory shocks really are garbage.
PLUS - just like somebody else mentioned on this board - once the factory shocks were removed, I held on in my hand and was able to simply compress the piston into the shock with EASE!! I can't imagine why in the hell they were ever on the truck in the first place.
That much of a difference, eh? I'm not surprised. The factory front shocks are J-U-N-K!! I'll have to splurge and get some Rancho's on all four corners as well. How much did that run you, anyways?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

all four shocks were $298.00 shipped to my doorstep.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

oh no no no.... the installation is not my cup o' tea.
BUT - according to the shop who did it, it was a major pain in the a$$.
apparently the control arms sway bar need to come off completely to access the front shocks and compress the springs. but they got it done.
To have all four shocks and both stabilizer links installed, also a complete front brake job, was $320.00
and let me just reiterate the JOY i have in driving over bumps now. like they don't even exist in comparison.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

UPDATE - new Autolite 3923 plugs installed by yours truly.
My truck actually ran pretty nice with the old plugs, except for the idle due to the Fastman TB. With the new plugs I haven't really noticed much of a difference, but I will say that the old plugs were burned down so badly with 42k miles on them that the gap was nearing .050
Now that I've done shocks, stab. links, tires, exhaust, plugs, and front brakes I sure hope I'm good for the next 40k....

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM
tankmechus
Rookie

RonnusTwo:
How long have you had the TM leveler kit on your truck? I had to order the swaybar links last week, and was considering installing the Rancho shocks and leveler kit at the same time. I read one thread where they blamed a bad rack on the leveler kit. I'm not sure if this is feasible or if the mechanic couldn't figure out any other reason that it might have gone bad. I run 265/75-16s on my truck now, and they rub just a bit at full lock. Thought with the leveler kit, it would fit some all terrains on there nicely. Would you recommend doing all this at the same time? Had any trouble out of your 2" kit?

Quick Reply: In the shop!!