3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

leveling.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
coondog05
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leveling.......

i was thinkin!!! ut oh! i had the T.M leveling kit installed above my strut for 2 years without an issue... now i put rancho struts on and installed the spacer between like they changed the install procedure to. (basically changes spring rate now NOT lifts!) so my question is, why cant i "piggyback" another spacer above that like i had before? i have 2 inch liftblocks in rear so this would "even out" the truck, so thats why im asking if you were wondering WHY!!!???

Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want, we can cut my tuner in 1/2 and you can use that. you may very well have to get the demensions of both together and have some type of cnc milling shop fab you up brackets

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
coondog05
Veteran
Default mike,

theres room for a T.M one! theres the same space as without one cause the new way places the spacer on the strut UNDER the strut top thus leaving the area where i had one before (between strut assembly and top pearch) the same! so i could just slip another spacer back in there!!! im wondering if it would "wack out" the geometry or angle of driveshafts and such

Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

Originally Posted by superdak05
if you want, we can cut my tuner in 1/2 and you can use that. you may very well have to get the demensions of both together and have some type of cnc milling shop fab you up brackets
HAHAHAHA!!! now that's freakin funny

Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coondog05
theres room for a T.M one! theres the same space as without one cause the new way places the spacer on the strut UNDER the strut top thus leaving the area where i had one before (between strut assembly and top pearch) the same! so i could just slip another spacer back in there!!! im wondering if it would "wack out" the geometry or angle of driveshafts and such
You're 4x4 aren't you? They got away from the mounting on top method after some people reported axle bind issues, I'd imagine one in the strut and one on top can't be the best thing for the front axles.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the TM kit installed between the strut mount and the spring. I have seen any axle binding issues when in 4 wheel drive. However, TM tech told me that they milled off .500" to cure this issue, THEN switched to the style that locates between the spring and strut assembly. Technically, I think that doubling up on the spacers would cause a suspension geometry issue based on allowable tolerance...also, I don't think that this would be a safe idea for cv angle.

Considering max. suspension height, if the 2" spacer (located between the strut mount and strut) put cv angle out of tolerances, then combining both locations with 1.5" spacers would certainly go past the allowable cv angle. The next question is, what is the "safe zone" of cv angle and ride height? This might have something to do with the big suspension manufacturers decision to NOT productionize a true "suspension lift" package for our trucks. However, there are many full size trucks that have independant front suspension and have suspension lifts kits. So, back the orginal question....WTF?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

IFS lift kits include front differential drop brackets to keep the stock CV's at a reasonable angle. Sometimes it requires crossmember cutting or drilling or welding, and you have to make sure the front prop shaft angle is acceptable. I like the saying that "the only true lift is bigger tires". Or Unimog style portal axles

Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
NJJer
Veteran

coondog05

You have a PM

Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly watching one of your vids stuck in the sand that you weren't 4wd. I'd get the Rough Country lift. You shouldn't have any binding issues with 2wd.