3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

1500 struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:10 AM
BrandonMiller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 struts

did anyone find out if they are interchangable?

I just drove a 500 mile trip and although I love my truck I am a bit seasick. I also have a weird clunking noise from the driver side strut. I took it to the dealer but one look at the trailmaster leveling kit and they wouldn't touch it..

Anyway, this looks like a good alternative to the rancho kit with the trailmaster kit

http://www.jegs.com/i/Skyjacker/825/D620ST/10002/-1

Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

someone tried to put the ram struts on our daks, they were two inches too long. somewhere there is a post of this. may want to do a search under third gen strut assembly

Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

that and I think the eyelits were slightly different, so they wouldnt bolt up

Old 12-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why couldn't they just use a normal attachment at the bottom like everyone else does? We'd probably have a bunch of options if they had...

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Altair, we could break new ground in Union College / Rennsaelear collaboration by engineering suspension kits for Dakotas. All we need is a shop...and a waterjet...and a press brake...and a welder...and a CNC mill...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

You go to Union? I've actually been there once or twice. We have a waterjet here but they don't really let students use it (or the cnc mill for that matter, you can use the laser cutter if you know people in the archie program though)

Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I graduated from Union in 2007. We had a CNC waterjet, lathe and 5 axis mill too, but the machinists had to run them. I'd just give them the 2d or 3d files. We fabbed alot of stuff for our Mini Baja car on those machines, they're worth their weight in gold...perfect parts every time.

http://www.vu.union.edu/~baja/

Now, that car has a suspension...4 wheel independent with about a foot of travel on each end, adjustable Fox nitrogen shocks. The transmission was my baby. CVT input, billet aluminum reduction case with custom helical gears, and race chain drive.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Very cool! The only student racing programs here are autocross (took one look at my truck and said no way in hell, lol) and Formula SAE which you basically have to devote your life to. I didn't have enough time for Formula, I do go watch the auto-x once in awhile.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cramerica
I graduated from Union in 2007. We had a CNC waterjet, lathe and 5 axis mill too, but the machinists had to run them. I'd just give them the 2d or 3d files. We fabbed alot of stuff for our Mini Baja car on those machines, they're worth their weight in gold...perfect parts every time.

http://www.vu.union.edu/~baja/

Now, that car has a suspension...4 wheel independent with about a foot of travel on each end, adjustable Fox nitrogen shocks. The transmission was my baby. CVT input, billet aluminum reduction case with custom helical gears, and race chain drive.

Ah, if you are into Mini Baja, I'm sure you guys may have heard of the company I work for, JR Race Car. We engineered and produce the Shockwave Clutch, which I believe is finally legal for you guys to run.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I gotta say I hadn't heard of JR or the Shockwave, but that clutch looks very nice. I don't think very highly of the Comet 790 other than it's reliable (they did have some bad castings a while back though). It wastes too much power and lacks consistency unless kept squeaky clean. Why was the Shockwave not Baja legal?

There are no rules about transmission type; people run go-kart style clutches, hydrostatics, straight manuals, ATV style automatics, belt CVT's and even electronic CVT's.

Can I get some info on that clutch? Engagement range, adjustability, ratio range, etc.
Will it fit on the Briggs 305cc cranks without modification? And how much is a kit? I'll pass this on to the club prez this year, they should have some money to buy one. Anything to get away from the 790's.

Quick Reply: 1500 struts