3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

remove center console?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove center console?

How easy is it to remove the center console? Reason why I am asking is I am hoping to get Hella lights and I want to put the switch for it in the space by the cup holders. there is a flat area that would be perfect. I a 05 quad with the front bucket seats. Just wondering what I have in store for me. Also how easy is it to remove the plactic cover on the A Pilar drivers side? For project 2 this winter.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the whole assem, comes out and it is easy, remove everything in the compartment that you rest your elbow on. at the bottom is a plastic cover get a pair of needle nose pliiers and pull up on one of the tabs. there you will see 4 bolts. take them out. at the very frt of the console there is a rubber mat. pull that up and there are two screwss. remove them and it will come out. if you have the heated seats becarefull. simply unplug the connectors. also inside the compartment you may have an extra outlet. you will need to unplug that also. dont worry. there is enough wire to do this

Old 12-06-2008, 10:25 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

cool sounds like something I can do. I don't have heated seats. but I found a shot with what you are talking about. DOn't have to worry about the switches
Console.jpg

Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

but I DO have that outlet. I am not looking to take the whole thing out of the truck. Just remove (or lift) it enough to get the light switch mounted in the space between the double and single cup holders.

THANKS!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you remove the console you will notice that the top part can be removed from the bottom part by a few screws, open the compartment door and you will see some screws at top. the rest are underneath the console. i take the whole thing out every now and then and rinse it off in the sink. but our consoles are the same.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can I switch the center front seat with the full center console I have the fold up center compartment for the center seat, it is separate from the driver and passanger seats
which is never going to be used and i could use the storage space

Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

I don't see why not, only issue is the 12v power in the center compartment. I'm not sure if you have the plugs or ability to get power to it. If that isn't a issue, I don't see any reason why you couldn't swap it out.

BTW, I didn't put my switch there, I installed it under and to the left of the steering wheel.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the quick respone, gonna check with the dealer this week for cost to get one.
I guess i could tie it into the 12v on the dash and run the wires under to the plug, but its not really needed though

Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 PM
CJS

I do not have the heated seat switches and I have taken out the 4 screws under the arm rest, the two under the big gulp cup holder, and the one under the eye glass holder. There still seems to be a clip or screw holding the top down somewhere near the big gulp cup holder. Are those some sort of clips and if so how do I open it? All this to replace the accessory charger under the arm rest?

Quick Reply: remove center console?