3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Mass Thread to complain about Bad Struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyDMG
Yeah I know I can do it without removing the spare... but I figure it'll give me more room to work. The spare is something I need to fix anyway... think I've read the safety is catching and not letting it drop. The cable slides down, and the tire only drops like two inches.
You can replace the rear shocks without removing the spare. It is not in the way at all. You dont even have to lift the truck. I did mine in like 20 mins for both sides with the truck sitting on the ground.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You can replace the rear shocks without removing the spare. It is not in the way at all. You dont even have to lift the truck. I did mine in like 20 mins for both sides with the truck sitting on the ground.
Cool I'm off tomorrow maybe I'll give it a try.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
norma jean
Captain

I'm experiencing bouncing over what they call speed humps here. The truck bounces at least 3 times after driving over them. So I bought the Monroe Quick-struts (a fully loaded strut) for the front and the Monroe load balancing shocks for the rear. I attempted to put the Quick-struts in, but I could not get the original strut out. So not sure if I'm going to follow the advice on the forms and remove the bolt on the upper arm or just take it to a shop. Gonna try to do the shocks, but I have to find out why my spare doesn't drop before I can do the shocks.
thank you very much for opening my eyes to the monroe quick struts. save me *** loads of money

Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Originally Posted by norma jean
thank you very much for opening my eyes to the monroe quick struts. save me *** loads of money
Part numbers for the '06 V6 and V8 quick-struts are:
171100 - 4WD
271100 - RWD

Not sure what the difference is between the two as there length specs are the same, but the springs might be stiffer on one vs. the other. I had to buy mine at rockauto... they were about $164 a piece I think. I also used their 5% off coupon. You're welcome... I just figure might as well replace it all... should fix the bounciness.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM
norma jean
Captain

Part numbers for the '06 V6 and V8 quick-struts are:
171100 - 4WD
271100 - RWD

Not sure what the difference is between the two as there length specs are the same, but the springs might be stiffer on one vs. the other. I had to buy mine at rockauto... they were about $164 a piece I think. I also used their 5% off coupon. You're welcome... I just figure might as well replace it all... should fix the bounciness.
thanks, and those shocks in the back so be easy, seeing how your truck is from the dry south, mine took a little longer because they were rusted, but not by much, one of mine leaked out and had no compression, put ranchos back there. I have heard good word about the monroes your putting back there tho

Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but I see how to get the upper mount loose on the passenger side... but it looks like the upper mount nut on the driver's is in the frame with some piece of metal... is it one piece holding the bolt? I don't see an easy way to access it and torque to the proper spec.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
norma jean
Captain

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but I see how to get the upper mount loose on the passenger side... but it looks like the upper mount nut on the driver's is in the frame with some piece of metal... is it one piece holding the bolt? I don't see an easy way to access it and torque to the proper spec.
Haha I just took a break from work to go look, and you are right it sucks, I can't remember if it stays
Or not, but you may be able to wiggle a wrench in there, try it, it is spins someone else will chime in

Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Just looked at this quick, but if you're talking about the drivers side upper shock bolt, there is a tabbed nut so you can just turn the bolt loose and the tab holds the nut. Unless like when I was doing mine the tab on the nut breaks...

I had to remove the spare so I could get up in there with a grinder. First I cut the shock out of the way, then I cut the bolt short enough to remove the nut end through the little space between the frame and box.

Lets just say it took me longer to get the spare out of there than grinding the shock and bolt out of there. That spare mechanism is the damdest thing. I haven't put my spare back in place yet. On long trips it gets thrown into the box because if I had to go through what I did to get that thing out of there on the side of a highway, I think I'd rather burn the truck.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Originally Posted by Robk1971
Just looked at this quick, but if you're talking about the drivers side upper shock bolt, there is a tabbed nut so you can just turn the bolt loose and the tab holds the nut. Unless like when I was doing mine the tab on the nut breaks...

I had to remove the spare so I could get up in there with a grinder. First I cut the shock out of the way, then I cut the bolt short enough to remove the nut end through the little space between the frame and box.

Lets just say it took me longer to get the spare out of there than grinding the shock and bolt out of there. That spare mechanism is the damdest thing. I haven't put my spare back in place yet. On long trips it gets thrown into the box because if I had to go through what I did to get that thing out of there on the side of a highway, I think I'd rather burn the truck.
LOL... ironically that sounds like mine... but mine decided to drop today so I blasted it with penetrating oil to see if that helps out. I did have to drop mine because the driver's side upper bolt wasn't easily accessible. I got the driver's side shock out easily enough, but my god the new load bearing shock was a PITA to put in. Since it has the spring I had to use a jack to lift/compress it into the lower bracket and then I couldn't get the bolt through. So I eventually came up with jamming the wooden part of my hammer between the frame and the shock and it got it centered enough to get the bolt through. Took about 3 hours just to do the one (with breaks it's hot as hell outside). So I stopped at the one because I needed to get 1/2" extensions to take the passenger one off. Definitely seems stiffer so hopefully the other will go in a bit smoother.

Also I dunno if anyone has shown the difference, but attached is a picture of the TRX4 shock next to the load bearing one. The TRX4 compresses real easily in the beginning (hence my bouncing) and stiffens as it's pushed down further. It could be over extended too, but they look to be about the same height.

Also thanks to everyone who responded... I really appreciate the help and information.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dakota shocks.jpg (71.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
vantage08
Amateur

When I Do this to my 06 4.7, I have strut compressors. Would they work for the rear springs for an easier install?

Quick Reply: Mass Thread to complain about Bad Struts