3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Warranty Coverage Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
dodgeramsst2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Coverage Question

Hi all,

Found this forum after getting severely ticked at my local dodge dealer today. I bought an 06 dakota CC 4x4 in early 2007. When I purchased it I also bought the advantage care plus (bumper to bumper) warranty. The truck has 75k on it now. This was a certified used so it has the powertrain warranty also. Took it in yesterday for the rattling front end problem. was told that the shocks were bad, had a bad sway bar end link on the passenger side, and also a bad tie rod end on the pass side. All told with the "scheduled" maintenance it was due for was given a quote for around $2200. They told me nothing was covered under warranty. Now my question is, shouldn't at the very least the sway bar ends and tie rod be covered? What about the shocks? I paid good money for the extended warranty but seems like I got taken. I had to pay around $220 in "inspection" fees but they covered my 1 day rental (woohoo I think they are a big joke and need to pony up and fix my truck. Just looking for what people know about the warranties. Just for info purposes, the warranty is through chrysler service contracts Inc.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, look, shocker....another new guy with busted front end components. It's almost comical. They are all considered wear items, but the tie rod ends and sway bar link should be covered...... Wait a minute, I just figured out why the sway bar links have such a shiddy design with the integrated ball joint! The ball joint makes it a wear item! Id raise hell over these items. Shocks are a harder sell.

If you end up eating it all. Buy the end links at the dealer and then take them to an independent shop who will replace the shocks with Ranchos and replace the tie rod ends with a quality piece. The dealer is the only place you'll find end links. You'll save much $$$.

By the way, it is still my opinion that the excessive motion created by bad shocks causes the tie rod ends to wear pre-maturely. All you guys who think your oem shocks are still good should keep that in mind. You have no idea how bad it is until you get them replaced.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
V8MANual
Captain

The extended warranty, like mine, is probably only 7/70k on everything except wear items.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

If you have the 100K miles coverage all items will be covered. Shocks are listed as being covered so why wouldnt the other stuff be covered? You can try looking at the list on line. Also, verify that the warranty was entered in the system. I had this happen to me with another car. First they denied coverage and said warranty was up. I KNEW I had warranty they called corporate and then covered the repairs. Do you have your paperwork?

sorry think you are not covered. I have the max care which does cover those parts. Accordin to the website only the suspension parts below are covered for the added care

Rear Auxiliary Springs

Rear Axle Trac Bar

Front Control Arm Bushings

Front Control Arm Shafts

Front Wheel Bearings (Front-wheel-drive vehicles only)

Rear Lateral Link Arm

Rear Coil Springs

Rear Leaf Springs

Rear Trailing Arm Assembly

Rear Shock Mount Plate

Rear Spring Bushing

Rear Spring Hanger

Rear Spring Interliner

Rear Spring Shackle

Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar

Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Bushing

Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Link

Front Strut Mounting Plates, Bushings and Bearings

Front Struts

U Bolt Rear Spring

Front Upper and Lower Ball Joints

Front Upper and Lower Control Arms

Last edited by Antjmar; 01-10-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
dodgeramsst2003

Thanks for the replies. The only thing I got covered was the lower ball joints. This was at a second dealer since I got taken at the first one and am now fighting with them. They "didn't find anything wrong with the ball joints" Took it to firestone since I didn't believe them and they were about ready to come apart. Had to have a 1/2" of travel in them. Now I'm fighting for my inspection fees.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
ramos160
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramsst2003
Thanks for the replies. The only thing I got covered was the lower ball joints. This was at a second dealer since I got taken at the first one and am now fighting with them. They "didn't find anything wrong with the ball joints" Took it to firestone since I didn't believe them and they were about ready to come apart. Had to have a 1/2" of travel in them. Now I'm fighting for my inspection fees.
I know Dodge has a 1 year warranty on everything they do, mechanical repairs, you'd expect the same on a certified used vehicle. I'm surprised that they won't cut you a break on all these repairs ($2200) after not even one year of use. I suggest you keeping track of everyone you speak to, writing everythign they say along the way. Once you feel that you are not getting anywhere and you have hit a wall, go to www.bbb.org and file a complaint with the better business bureau, goodluck.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just had my 30k service done and asked them to look at my front shocks to see if they should be replaced, (I do find the front end bounces a bit) they said they would replace them under warrenty, so we book my truck for today and just got a call saying the shocks are back ordered cuz of all the plants shutting down, and there not even sure if they can get them now, so i'm looking to see if they will warrenty them and give me an aftermarket set free or at least pay for a portion of the shocks, (any suggestions on a good shock for standing up to bumpy roads?
(I'll let you guys know how it goes)

Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I can't believe you didn't get it all covered from the second dealer.

This worries me. I really want to keep this truck well into the 10 year range. I can't afford to keep buying cars, lol.

It seems like the front end on these trucks are going to fall apart just like on the second gen.

I'm disapointed really.

We NEED moog balljoints so badly, and NEED to be able to get aftermarket struts and shocks at local parts stores. Its total BS.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 01-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=biker_ahoy;1519473], so we book my truck for today and just got a call saying the shocks are back ordered cuz of all the plants shutting down, and there not even sure if they can get them now

I think thier pulling your leg. My brother-in-law works at a parts supply plant and they've been working even when the production plants were shut down. He even had to work through the holiday. I'm going to ask him about the shocks when I here from him.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
dodgeramsst2003

I only had the advantage care plus, not the ultimate package or whatever its called. I'll do the rest of the work myself, and yes Shocks are on backorder everywhere around here. Firestone managed to find one set at a dealer somewhere but if you want stock there are none to be had right now. My local belle tire can get monroe and rancho so I'll be buying from them. Actually the monroe's are cheaper than the stock ones from a dealer and I think the ranchos are right about the same as stock so unless you are getting warranty work you're better off buying aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Warranty Coverage Question