3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

V6 performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Baby_Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb V6 performance

Ok now this might be stupid of me and most will think it is pointless to do. But my truck only has a v6 in it. I was wondering what parts would be worth buying. I thought about a fastman throttle body, throttle body spacer, cai, and cat-back exhaust. I was reading in a mag. where they took a 2005 wrangler 4.0L and increased the hp by 23 and the torque by 50 with just the spacer, cai, and headers. Good idea or bad idea? It is my spring break project coming up.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all sounds good....but lots of $$. Your best bang for the buck may be a tuner. Forget the spacer.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Baby_Ram
Rookie

well the problem is they dont make a tuner for the 05 and newer v6 dakota yet. After the core charge, i can get the throttle body for $180, the spacer for about $100, and the CAI i am getting is $175. The exhaust is something I am going to have the muffler shop here in town to do.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
mikeybiker
Rookie

I wouldent waste my time with the spacer. I have the v6 with cai, exaust, iridium plugs and, a jet chip and im pritty happy with it!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

return the spacer, as it is COMPLETELY worthless on our trucks...

v6 or v8...

they just make a uhmm.. sweet, ya, sweet, whooshing sound...

which is cool...

...not.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your money on the spacer, it would give you more benefit sitting on your desk and looking pretty than it will in your truck. I don't know if it actually has any effect on the 4.0 in the Jeeps (honestly I doubt it) but I'll bet most if not all of the gains they saw were from the intake and headers.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
return the spacer, as it is COMPLETELY worthless on our trucks...

v6 or v8...

they just make a uhmm.. sweet, ya, sweet, whooshing sound...

which is cool......not.
Originally Posted by Altair
Don't waste your money on the spacer, it would give you more benefit sitting on your desk and looking pretty than it will in your truck. I don't know if it actually has any effect on the 4.0 in the Jeeps (honestly I doubt it) but I'll bet most if not all of the gains they saw were from the intake and headers.
I agree! Other upgrades are good, SPACER = CRAP

Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

by the looks of the dak, it is 2 wheel drive. the only thing that will help that v6 get up and move is a gear swap, run the vin by dodge and get a build sht. if it has the 3.55 get rid of them and go 4.10, you will be surprised at the difference, all the extras at the motor wont do as much as the gears. and a good shop should get it done for 600 or less. close to what you are going to pay for engine mods

Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

CAI, Fastman TB, plugs, free flowing exhaust are all good ideas. There are JBA headers for this engine too. Some V6 Ram owners have them. Whether or not they fit up in a Dakota, I'm not sure. Obviously they will fit up to the block, but there might be component interference elsewhere in the engine bay. Worth a look though.

Also, V6 Dak's would benefit greatly from lower rear gears. For my 6 speed, 4.10's would probably be best. Automatics could do 4.56 and still be tolerable on the highway.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Baby_Ram
Rookie

I was planning on changing the gears out this summer for 4.11s. And yes it is a 2wd automatic. ALRIGHT lol you guys convinced me not to get the spacer.

Quick Reply: V6 performance