3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the seat should lift up mabye 4" - 6" enough to get at what's under the seat at least that's how mine is with the sub behind the seat.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 AM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
Will the seat lift up at all? All I would need is to get at the crap under the seat, never have left it up.

HaHa, kinda reminds me of my wife and "other seat left up"...

PS- did you make the enclosure?

LB
Yes you can reach under there to get at stuff. Plenty of room!

I did not make the enclosure a local shop did.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
LB
Veteran

I really like it. I should have asked this before but how much for the box? the sub? what kind of amp are you going to use, and is your head unit original?

Thanks,
LB

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by LB
I really like it. I should have asked this before but how much for the box? the sub? what kind of amp are you going to use, and is your head unit original?

Thanks,
LB
The box was 40-45 bucks, the sub with warranty was 125 locally. Better deals can be found online.

The amplifier I have is a sony xm gtr2022. Its 500 watts RMS 1200 watt peak at 4 ohms. My subwoofer is also 4 ohms. The sub is rated at 300w rms so I will have to back down the gain a lot! Or get a smaller amp. Dont know what I may do just yet.

My head unit is stock but my truck came with sirrius sat radio and I removed the unit. I plan on converting the wire from the rear of the stock unit to send a signal through that cable to the amp. Makes it easier on me then having to run wires.

I also am contemplating on SELLING my amp and sub and getting the MTX enclosure from the earlier quad cabs. I have heard somewhere that they fit our trucks.

I am really funny about car audio and I want it all to be perfect. I really like MTX but I love JL audio. So I am a bit torn on what to do. The diff is marginal but the mtx can be bought with amp installed in the box so it saves space.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Personally I think you will get better sound out of the JL. I'll also say that I noticed a big difference in sound quality when I upgraded from the stock head unit to the MyGig. Others have mentioned that as well when upgrading to aftermarket, if you're picky about your sound you may want to consider pulling the factory head and getting a nice aftermarket unit to go in there.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
LB
Veteran

Yah Altair, your mygig is trick, I am just not confident I have the steady hand to make the faceplate look decent. I have the 6cd infinity head unit now, would love to upgrade to the mygig!

Thanks,
LB

Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by LB
Yah Altair, your mygig is trick, I am just not confident I have the steady hand to make the faceplate look decent. I have the 6cd infinity head unit now, would love to upgrade to the mygig!

Thanks,
LB
If you have a scrollsaw you can get a real nice cut, I did half of it with the dremel and had a few small "oops" moments then had the thought to put it on the scrollsaw and it went much better. Still needed to use the Dremel for a few spots I just couldn't get well with the scrollsaw, I'm planning to use some fiberglass or bondo to build it back up so it fits perfect and then paint the bezel, just haven't had the time.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
dakolorado
Professional

Thanks for the input, altair do you have your unit cracked to watch movies on the go? I want mygig however the nav units are selling for 800 bucks. The non nav are not bad around 2-300.

Didnt dodge make a bezel for the mygig, why would you need to cut it? Just replace it...

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

you cant put mtx in the same league as jl. are you high?

Quick Reply: Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)