3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)

I wanted some more bass in my truck and having a quad cab before I knew there was space behind the rear seat. I decided to go with a single JL Audio 10W1v2 behind the seat.

The enclosure is 13.5x13.5x7.5Bx3T equates to roughly a .30 box for a single 10. JL audio subs sound great any almost any enclosure. This sub was designed for a .6 cube ft but this enclosure works and it plays tighter due to air restrictions and keeps the coil centered better giving it better thermal handling capabilitys. The sub handles 300 watts RMS and plays low for a single 10. JL IMHO is simply the BEST!

Remove the two outer T50 bolts on the lower section of the top half of the seat.

Slide Up and out.

Sit enclosure inside the space behind the seat and simply bolt the seat back on.

Total time, 10 minutes. Amplifiers can be placed under the rear or front seats or behind the passenger side rear seat. Havent decided on that just yet.

Finished product.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Looks nice. Can the seat top be put back on?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by Cuban11182
Looks nice. Can the seat top be put back on?
Yes, absolutely! You wont be able to fold it up though.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a project for you. Find a nice solid woofer grille to install over the JL. Go to the junkyard and find that seatback. Then modify the seat to accomodate the box. You could weld in U braces. Uncomfortable, but functional. Make sure if you add fabric to the back, it is as air transparent as possible. Speaker grille cloth, or similar. No vinyl, pleather, or leather. It would be slick to have the stock look back. Besides, if you're going to lose the seat, you might as well build a bigger box. I installed car and home systems for about 8 years. I've always been a Polk guy. Go ahead, impress me

Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by mprohr
Here is a project for you. Find a nice solid woofer grille to install over the JL. Go to the junkyard and find that seatback. Then modify the seat to accomodate the box. You could weld in U braces. Uncomfortable, but functional. Make sure if you add fabric to the back, it is as air transparent as possible. Speaker grille cloth, or similar. No vinyl, pleather, or leather. It would be slick to have the stock look back. Besides, if you're going to lose the seat, you might as well build a bigger box. I installed car and home systems for about 8 years. I've always been a Polk guy. Go ahead, impress me
I dont lose the seat or the comfort. That is the beautify of this. Dont need a bigger box. Trucks even 4 doors are a small cab so no large ghetto blasters needed.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
mprohr
All Star

Originally Posted by dakolorado
Yes, absolutely! You wont be able to fold it up though.
Sorry, you can't fold up the BOTTOM part. My mistake.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM
mprohr
All Star

I'd still recommend a woofer grille.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by mprohr
I'd still recommend a woofer grille.
I have thought about it because jl makes one just for their subs that ifts on the existing ring. But its not needed, once the seat goes back on there is nothing going to hit it.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
mprohr
All Star

Yeah, I'm just saying....It never hurts to have more protection. I've seen lots of mishaps with woofers, and If JL already makes it, you won't have any excursion issues.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
LB
Veteran

Will the seat lift up at all? All I would need is to get at the crap under the seat, never have left it up.

HaHa, kinda reminds me of my wife and "other seat left up"...

PS- did you make the enclosure?

LB

Quick Reply: Installing a JL Audio Subwoofer (Quad Cab)