3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another New Dakota Owner w/ 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
9533Zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New Dakota Owner w/ 2 questions

DODGE DAKOTA Club Cab 2D ST V6 2005. Have never owned a Dakota before but always liked them so I bought this one with 30,000 miles on it. I really like the truck but its an ST, bare bones and does not have a passenger side door lock. Are they all like this? Is it possible to install one? Next, the check engine light has come on and the code points to the torque converter clutch. No symptoms, other than the light being on. Am I looking at a serious repair or could this just be a sensor. Its only got 32,000 miles on it.

Steve

Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

1st question. Anything is possible. I would look for a junkyard one and rob parts. Mine came with it so I'm not sure how hard it would be, and that is also dependent on your mechanical/electrical skills.

2nd question. Not exactly sure. Did just find this info on the net:This will be a bit technical. For those who have driven a stick/standard transmission car, this will be more easy to understand.

A transmission is what connects an engine, to the drive wheels making them spin (thus moving your car). Now if the engine is connected to the wheels, then when the engine speeds up the wheels speed up, and the reverse thereof.

If the wheels stop, and the engine is connected to them, the engine stops. So why does the engine keep going when you stop at a red light?

On a standard/stick shift car, you push the clutch. By pushing the clutch pedal, you are disconnecting the engine from the wheels. This allows the engine to run freely while the wheels are stopped.

On a automatic transmission, you have a device called a torque converter. A real simple explaination is picture two box fans. On facing the other. One pluged in and running, is blowing air into the other, which is not plugged in. What happens? The other spins from the air moving through it.

This is kind of how a torque converter works. The engine drives one "fan" and the other "fan" is connected to the wheels. As one drives the other, your car moves. But just like the box fans, if you stop one fan with your finger, the blowing fan does not. Similarly even though you leave your engine in drive, and you stop at a red light, the engine does not stall out.

Now this is good for stopping, but on the highway, this system is not efficient. So there is an extra part called the torque converter clutch. This, just like a clutch in a stick shift car, locks the engine to the wheels.

So here comes the part you want to know: What's wrong?
Most all torque converter clutches are run by computer since the early 80s. The computer does this by powering a valve that opens and causes the clutch to lock up. When you brake or let off the gas, the valve should de-power and close, causing the clutch to release.

If it does not, then you get funny things happening when you stop (engine wheels locked together, wheels stop, engine stops). This is bad for you engine, and bad for your transmission. This is the common problem as valves tend to get stuck open when they go bad.

I had a Chevy Lumina which did this. The valve went bad, and was very easy to replace. There was a access port on the side of transmission, and the valve was only about $50 bucks.

Here's the key to you: The valve could get stuck open, and the valve could be sending bad vibes to the computer which caused the P0740. Or there could be a sensor that is giving bad info to the computer making it think the valve is messed up when it isn't. The noise you hear could be the clutch, from not releasing (bad valve), or it could be the computer putting the transmission in fale safe mode (which sometimes make noises).

Advice: If you can determine for certain it's a bad valve, it might be easy to replace. I do not know your specific transmission, so you'll have to do some research on how hard it is.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW... for certain, your best option is to take it to a dealership. It could be a sensor gone bad, a bad computer, or a bad valve... there's also an off chance it could be something unrelated like wiring and such. You'd end up doing the part swap guess game that costs so many so much money.

I wonder if this is what causes my vehicle and others to die at a stop. I might have to look into this further.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The door handle on the outside passanger side doesnt have a lock?? Can you even lock it from the inside? I have a base model ST but it sounds like yours is even more base, like some sort of fleet vehicle. Mine has manual locks on both sides.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to answer you ? you are SCREWED. no sir. seeing how it is a 2005, it has the 7/70000 mile warrenty. bring the truck in and let dodge look at it. what is your deductible $100.00? it may need a fluid change and the filters replaced

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
9533Zero

Thanks guys! I bought it second hand so is it still under warranty? Is it transferable? As far as the locks go, its got manual locks on the inside but no key on the outside of hte passenger side door.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC)
In a standard torque converter, the impeller and turbine are rotating at about the same speed and the stator is
freewheeling, providing no torque multiplication. By applying the turbine’s piston and friction material to the front
cover, a total converter engagement can be obtained. The result of this engagement is a direct 1:1 mechanical link
between the engine and the transmission.
The clutch can be engaged in second, third, and fourth gear ranges depending on overdrive control switch position.
If the overdrive control switch is in the normal ON position, the clutch will engage after the shift to fourth gear. If the
control switch is in the OFF position, the clutch will engage after the shift to third gear.
The TCM controls the torque converter by way of internal logic software. The programming of the software provides
the TCM with control over the L/R-CC Solenoid. There are four output logic states that can be applied as follows:
• No EMCC
• Partial EMCC
• Full EMCC
• Gradual-to-no EMCC
NO EMCC
Under No EMCC conditions, the L/R Solenoid is OFF. There are several conditions that can result in NO EMCC
operations. No EMCC can be initiated due to a fault in the transmission or because the TCM does not see the need
for EMCC under current driving conditions.
PARTIAL EMCC
Partial EMCC operation modulates the L/R Solenoid (duty cycle) to obtain partial torque converter clutch application.
Partial EMCC operation is maintained until Full EMCC is called for and actuated. During Partial EMCC some slip
does occur. Partial EMCC will usually occur at low speeds, low load and light throttle situations.
FULL EMCC
During Full EMCC operation, the TCM increases the L/R Solenoid duty cycle to full ON after Partial EMCC control
brings the engine speed within the desired slip range of transmission input speed relative to engine rpm.
GRADUAL-TO-NO EMCC
This operation is to soften the change from Full or Partial EMCC to No EMCC. This is done at mid-throttle by
decreasing the L/R Solenoid duty cycle.

Straight from the manual, don't know how much help it will be.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ST has the key on outside of passanger door

Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
mikset
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9533Zero
Thanks guys! I bought it second hand so is it still under warranty? Is it transferable? As far as the locks go, its got manual locks on the inside but no key on the outside of hte passenger side door.

That's weird, I have an ST and it has the key lock on the outside, so you should be able to get one installed.

Yep, the warranty is transferable but you can only do it within the first 30 days of owning the truck so don't wait too long.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm wow I have the SLT and i dont have a key hole on the outside of the pass door....WEIRD

Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
coondog05
Veteran

^ditto^.....

Quick Reply: Another New Dakota Owner w/ 2 questions