3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing Follow Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
mdk23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Follow Up Question

Hello,

I posted an earlier question about a towing package for my 2005 Dakota. I am going to order the Mopar package I think. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had self installed a hitch themselves? I have never done it before and just wondered if I need to disassemble the bumper, muffler, or anything else to put the hitch on? Just wondering how much drilling would need to be done too. I guess I am trying to consider if I want to do it my self or have it installed by someone. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Don't know about the Mopar Package specifically, but I think they are all pretty much the same. Mine was a UHaul, but appears to be the same gauge metal and attachment method as all the other Dakota hitch recievers I've seen.

The bumper is attached at 4 points. Nothing to it. Disconnect the license plate light wiring first. It's steel and somewhat heavy, so don't let it fall on you by accident.

The only specialty tool you need would be a torque-wrench good to 150 ft-lb or so, for the bolts that attach the reciever to the tubular frame member. IRC the UHaul called for about 125 ft-lb.

I was ready to borrow a wrench from a parts store and go for it myself, but my truck got sideswiped and ended up in the body shop anyway. They installed it and I pulled a trailer 900 mi without issue.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like Cram stated. Although with the Mopar hitch, you will need a torx bit. (can't remember the size, I think it was a T-50, T-55, or so.) This bolt is torqued into the shank hole for the bumper ball location.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Thaaaaaenks

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
mdk23

Okay thanks... sounds like I may just let the dealer install it.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdk23
Okay thanks... sounds like I may just let the dealer install it.
...negative Ghostrider. The amount of money you will spend at the dealer will pay for a torque wrench and a torx bit. The install time is only about 25-30min.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

The tow hitch your putting on will this be used for heavy towing or weekend trips to the dump type of stuff?
There's alot to concider when towing with your dak it may or may not be able to handle extended use due to heavy loads.

The Dakota's tow pkg varies and the newer modles are better,the 05's tow pkg includes
Tow mirrors
Larger altinator
Bigger battery
additional engine cooler
Tranny cooler
addtitional leaf spring
Tow/haul button designed to help with shifting points on the tranny
classIV hitch
four pin & seven pin wire harness with plug n play electric brake port

That's all that I can think of but Im sure there's more.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
the_balls

if it's anything like my '08 the hitch itself is stupid easy to install.

if i recall all you need is a long ratchet, 18mm socket, t-55 torx and a few other very basic tools. could go for a torque wrench too, i just guessed on the torque and it hasn't fallen off yet!

you just loosen the bumper mounts, not even remove the bumper. the two hitch pieces sandwich the existing tube frame and bolt together, it's a bit of a pain getting all the bolts started as the pieces are bent slightly to create more tension for the "sandwich effect.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

The tow package is legit, especially for heavy hauling with an auto trans. A Mopar 7 pin wiring harness with a brake controller port is like $180 by itself. Extra leaf spring is nice too.

Quick Reply: Towing Follow Up Question