3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Double Din Head Unit ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
ballsout
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im currently doing this to my truck now and here is what is did...the bezel looks perfect and the deck looks factory.

take out the bezel, use a dremel to shave down enough for the deck to fit.

you have to cut the plastic underneath where the old deck was sitting on top, i used a dremel for this as well.

to fill the ear holes from the stock deck i epoxy'd some plastic tabs in behind them and lined them up with the edges where the deck goes.

now is where it gets messy and annoying, i used bondo to fill the ear holes and did about 5 coats to blend it perfectly and make it smooth and look like it was always one solid piece. I also bondo'd where i cut the bottom with the dremel because im **** and knew i would be annoyed if it wasn't perfecly smooth.
i then put glazing putty over all the bondo to fill any pin-holes or sanding marks.

i then primed the whole bezel with filler primer. i an color matching the bezel to the exterior colour of the truck so i got a rattle can of paint mixed to it, sprayed about 4-5 coats and am about to shoot my 4th layer of clear on it.

to mount the deck i used vent strapping and cut it into tabs so i could bend them to make the deck centered in the hole.

all in all this was about 6 hours of work and about 50 bucks in materials but it will look like it came from the factory with a double din.

i will post pics tomorow after everything is wired and mounted back in the truck!

Last edited by ballsout; 09-12-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 PM
JimBio
Professional

Does this only apply to the 05,06,07 models? Did they make the 08+ models double din friendly?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 PM
ballsout
Professional

i dont know for sure but i think 08 and up are 2 din friendly

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by biker_ahoy
Was looking at this unit and wondering if it would fit?
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...409024110.html

and the face plate do they make one to fit doubles?
I think that will be a perfect fall mod. "YOU CAN DO IT" But don't go paying $600.00 for that. Check this out!!

http://infiniteelectronix.com/clario...uchscreen.aspx

Quick Reply: Double Din Head Unit ?