3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New '08 Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
MTDakota008
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '08 Dakota Owner

Great site! I just picked up an '08 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7 on Thursday. I'm pumped, it looks great and I love it so far!

I do have a few noob questions.

1) Can I get away with a 265/75 16 tire without lift and not have rubbing?
I want to do a 2" leveling lift and maybe some body lift in the future, but I want to wait til the factory warranty runs out.

2) Has anyone put a nice stereo system in their truck. I love to jam out, not obnoxious but I truly enjoy my tunes. I'm all about SQ and would like to find a way to get some lower frequencies pumping through the truck. Even 1 10" sub should do the trick, as the factory speakers are all getting replaced by components.

3) How do I get to my tire jack?!!? The truck was used and didn't have an owners manual in it.

And finally,
4) Is there a functional ram air hood for this truck yet?

Thanks in advance, great site, hope to get to know this crew better!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice buy.

1. I ran 265/75 tires on my 06 dakota with the 16x7 wheels for about a year without any rub.
(before i put my leveling kit and rear lift blocks) Some others just put them on with no lift/leveling kit as well with only slight rub, so you can get away with it, and it looks great. There are 2" leveling kits available from many companies, AutoSpring, Daystar, Truxxx, Readylift, and Trailmaster. The two most popular kits seem to be the Trailmaster and Daystar. I am running the daystar.

2. Can't really comment on the stereo because I am working on that in the next few weeks...

3. I have a club cab and under the passenger side seat in the rear by where you step in, there is a little plastic door that holds the jack inside.

4. I think there is actually a factory hood scoop that you can buy, not 100% sure.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For question #2 https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-soultion.html

There isn't a functional ram air hood made for it. But you can DIY: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ood-scoop.html

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
VA Dakota
Rookie

Welcome to the Dodge forum: MTDakota008
You can download the owners manual from the Dodge web site:
I have the link below for the 2008 Dakota owners manual.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manua...meplate=Dakota

Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharp looking truck, congrats.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to DF!

As for your questions:

1. Depends on the tire really. I'm running an aggressive AT tread in 267/75R16 and I get a little rub at the right steering angles, this is with the 2" Trailmaster front leveling kit. Others like MonkeyWrench have been fine at stock height with different tires.

2. Does this count?

DSC00422.jpg

The MyGigs are actually available stock on the 08+ models so if you don't have one and wanted to put it in the install should be plug and play. They're made for Chrysler by Harman Becker so they're a high quality unit as far as sound goes. I just have it running some Polk db coaxials unamped right now but even on those I noticed a huge difference in sound quality from the stock head running those speakers. Down the road I'll be putting in a much better speaker/amp/sub setup and running the MyGig through a JL Cleansweep (or something similar).

3. On the club cabs there is a small plastic 'access panel' under the rear seat on the passenger side, I'd imagine it's somewhere under the rear seats on the quads.

4. This site implies that their hoods are functional, you could try giving them a call: http://carhoods.com/ (Just scroll down on the left side and click 05-09 Dakota, I can't link directly to the right page)

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 AM
dodgebuzz
Amateur

looks good
the jack is on the passenger side open the door on side of rear seat

Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
MTDakota008
Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Sincerely appreciate the link to the PDF for the owners manual!

I think it goes without being said, although I will say it, looks like the 2" leveling kit is pretty much a must, then I will be throwing on some 265/75 16 Yokohama Geolander AT tires. I will probably keep the stock rims, I think they look alright, but maybe some Dick Cepeks or some other polished or chrome wheel would look great too. I'm still tossing around the whole stereo thing... just isn't very much room for any subs, but I'll continue contemplating it.

My first mods to come besides the stereo upgrade; T-rex billet grille insert, tail light and most definitely an exhaust. My girlfriends old Tercel was louder! Which brings me to my next question... Any suggestions on a good exhaust? I've read that the Magnaflow is almost too loud, I want a growl and throaty tone, just not at the expense of waking the street as I go to work in the morning.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
V8MANual
Captain

My Magnaflow is perfect; not too loud inside or outside.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stay away from flowmaster, get a nice set of mufflers like magnaflow or cherry bomb and bring then to a shop, let the shop bend and hang the pipe for you. it is alot cheaper than going the kit route, and most places if you pay in cash wont charge sales tax, congrats on the truck, and welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: New '08 Dakota Owner