3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

hit it hard this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hit it hard this morning

coming home from work i uploaded my aggresive tune from krc performance. had a perfect stretch of road and all to myself. stopped in the middle of the highway, and just launched. kept it to the floor and away we went. looked down at the gps about 3/4 of a mile later, tracked me doing 142 mph in a 65. truck would not go any faster, i think that is fast enough, time to bolt up the inboard and take some videos

Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdak05
truck would not go any faster, i think that is fast enough, time to bolt up the inboard and take some videos
Can't wait

Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is this with the bottle?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Get that damn Cam mounted

Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion

Now that is what I'm talking about. It makes me wonder I can do...mmmm One night I might have to find an abandoned piece of interstate and crank the beast up.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

Originally Posted by Blown287
Now that is what I'm talking about. It makes me wonder I can do...mmmm One night I might have to find an abandoned piece of interstate and crank the beast up.
blown, what rpm are you trapping, and in what gear, turning 109mph?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
blown, what rpm are you trapping, and in what gear, turning 109mph?
I honestly don't know. I was pretty excited to be at the track. Next time I go I'm going to do like Superdak suggested and install a camera between the headrest so I have something to record. I don't know if it helps but I was watching A/F and boost, I know what they were. A/F was around 11.3 and boost was at about 8psi. With the 4.10 gears I boost quicker but don't hold boost as high on the top end. One of the reason I switched to the smaller blower drive pulley.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

if possible, try to pay attention to what gear youre in when you cross the line and what rpm range youre at. ideally, you want to be crossing the line at the top of a gear, where you are at a peak in your powerband. i tend to dial my shift points in the mirada and work with my tire size and gearing to put me in 3rd (high) gear with my shift light coming on right at the finish line. typically, i shift at 6500 and i trap around 6100. you also want to avoid overdrive gears and unneccesary shifts. when we ran amandas 94 ram, we cut something like 3 tenths and gained a couple mph just by disabling 4th gear and stretching third a bit.

this is why some people go to a slightly larger gear and find that they arent as quick as they had expected, because they go from trapping the high end of third gear to the low end of fourth gear, so they lose a bit of time with the 3rd shift (into 4th gear) and then they are coming through the traps in a gearing that isnt doing anything helpful for your torque curve and the truck doesnt pull as hard. in the case of amandas truck, it was dropping in to 4th gear around 1100 feet and then it wasnt pulling hard because the high gearing of 4th dropped the enigne out of the powerband. since you dont have many people to ask "what gear and tire combo do you run", i would suggest keeping an eye on your trap rpm and gear and then consider that with your tire selection.

but this is all stuff that you can work on once you have your launches down. how you cross the line is important, but its not as important as getting off the line. the mirada has won hundreds of races because i come out of the hole a hell of alot harder than most cars in my class.

if you get a video that lets us hear your run i might be able to lend more advice...seeing the tach would be great too...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion

Thanks man, that makes alot of sense. Plus, when I shift I drop boost by 5psi or so. It would certainly help to stretch the RPM throughout the entire gear range. That would definately help maximize boost.

Quick Reply: hit it hard this morning