3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stalling / idle problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 PM
RthrDent
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling / idle problem fixed

I'm starting a new thread since this is apparently such a common problem on our trucks and someone will undoubtedly need to search in the future.

As a recap, I replaced the clutch hydraulics on my '05 V8 6sp and then had a stalling issue. The problem had never existed before the clutch fix and all I had done that may have affected idle was disconnect the battery and the two main harness connectors by the breaker box. No codes were stored except one for low idle which was obviously a RESULT of the problem and not a cause. So anyway...

After much reading here and elsewhere (thanks everyone), I decided that cleaning the IAC and throttle body couldn't hurt and was probably due anyway with 94,000 miles. I disassembled and cleaned the TB and the IAC which was filthy! The rubber plunger and seat were obviously not sealing properly. I cleaned it all out with sensor cleaner, lubed the orings and reinstalled. Not only is the stalling issue gone, but the idle is now rock-steady at 700 and I have power back that I didn't even realize was gone! It's like a different truck I swear. As y'all may recall, I had said the clutch felt grabby and not as smooth as before and even that's better now that the engine is running more smoothly. My theory is that, over time, the PCM adjusted/adapted to the dirty intake components and so no problem was obvious. Upon reset though (disconnecting the battery) the PCM "forgot" what it had been doing and could no longer cope with the dirty IAC and TB. Lesson learned! As others pile up the miles on their trucks, I'm sure this will happen again so I hope this helps someone in the future.

Allen in Bakersfield

Old 07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Best of all you didn't have to spend a lot to do it.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome! good to here it's all back to running order. this will no doubt be useful info for others.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear its up and running again. Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice. do we have a procedeure to link to? I'd like to clean mine, but never done it.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 AM
RthrDent
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaded, it's really simple. Remove the air plenum, disconnect the throttle and cruise cables, disconnect the TPS and IAC connectors, remove three 8mm bolts and you're holding the throttle body in your hand. IAC comes off with a #20 Torx driver, it's the one with just one screw. The one with two screws is the TPS, not much to clean there since the sensor is sealed. Thoroughly clean TB with a safe cleaner, I used a rag and tooth brush. Thoroughly clean the IAC paying special attention to the plunger and seat. You can stick a dowel or stick of some sort into the IAC and push the plunger down, that will make it obvious where the seat is. After everything is clean, reassemble. Took me about an hour total not knowing what I was doing. Piece o' cake!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. I'll give it a shot when I can make some time. This "sensor cleaner" is something I can pick up at the auto parts store? Usually I clean everything with diesel

Quick Reply: Stalling / idle problem fixed