3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ks
just because the water was up to my tires doesnt mean its going to be in the engine compartment. if you were to roll the windows down, and roll a truck into a lake, it will float for a while. there are areas that will trap air (ex. engine compartment), and will take a little while to sink.
Air gets trapped in the passenger compartment where there are rubber seals to slow the waters entry. It will immediately fill the engine compartment.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mprohr
Air gets trapped in the passenger compartment where there are rubber seals to slow the waters entry. It will immediately fill the engine compartment.
right. The cowl/grille/headlights/fenders are just big vents for the engine compartment. The engine compartment has no pressurizing capacity what so ever.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh leave him alone.

His truck is apparently waterproof.

And there isn't anything we can do/say/show that will change his mind...

He's got the only watertight truck here...

Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 PM
s2ks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never tried to say the damn thing is water tight, but water isnt just going to fill into the engine compartment. you guys keep saying i got water in the motor, and i am saying it didnt. there was not even a sign of mist in around where the filter was at. even if there was presense of water drops, it would still have to get a decent amount past the filter.

if water was the reason it messed up, why didnt it cause an issue while i was trying to cross? not 2hrs later??? the only thing i can think of is that i got water in the fuel and was causing lean conditions. if that is the case, then i can see why it messed up down the road when i was getting the motor over 2400rpms.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 AM
s2ks
Rookie

ok, lets use some common sense here.

the cowl does not vent the under hood. there is a seal on the cowl to keep the outside elements out as well. if the cowl were to vent the under hood heat, then there would be a lot of cracked winsheilds in the winter from the heat. if you open the hood, you see the heat radiating off the motor, do you see it from the cowl? no.

air enters thru the grill, the inner fender into area for like the stock air box air box, the lower air dam on the bumper if applicable, etc. there is no air movement areas (dead air) in areas like the back of the engine compartment, wheel wells, etc. so where do you think all the air goes when driving, crawling, sitting at idle, etc? it radiates out from under the truck.

now me making the crossing thru the water will block the large volume of underhood air from going out underneath the truck. air will escape thru small areas it has that is can till the pressure is equalized. the fan is still pulling air into the engine compartment and has no where to go and this will tend to cause some bouyancy till an area is found for all the air to escape or the method of outside air is stopped/vented into atmosphere.

now for the people that think i am being unreassonable, stubburn, stupid, etc. give me your reason to think i am wrong. i have raced, 4-wheeled, built, etc for a while. this isnt my first time to break something.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 AM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by s2ks
never tried to say the damn thing is water tight, but water isnt just going to fill into the engine compartment. you guys keep saying i got water in the motor, and i am saying it didnt. there was not even a sign of mist in around where the filter was at. even if there was presense of water drops, it would still have to get a decent amount past the filter.

if water was the reason it messed up, why didnt it cause an issue while i was trying to cross? not 2hrs later??? the only thing i can think of is that i got water in the fuel and was causing lean conditions. if that is the case, then i can see why it messed up down the road when i was getting the motor over 2400rpms.
I'm with you on this one. The only way you should have got any water into your engine is through the air filter. And since the air filter is at the top of your engine then the water level would have had to have been at least half way up your doors, unless you were going fast enough to push it in through the grill, up from the bottom or any other way to cover your air filter. This is the reason that the snorkel air filters are made for the people that ford large bodies of water as their trucks are half way into the water and if your air ducting is water tight, there is no other way for water to get into your engine.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM
s2ks
Rookie

thanks, someone with a little common sense. it takes just a little more depth than that as well. the grill would have to have a lot of water in its way. there is no way i could go very fast at all across the water passage there in disney.