3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
s2ks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!

took the truck out yesterday with some friends, didnt do anything crazy but now the truck is screwed up. we had our fun, loaded up the trucks, drove to McD's, and everything was fine. after eating, the truck didnt want to start, ran really rough, and down on power. no SES light at the time. now the SES light is flashing with a p0300 code (random misfire). i changed the plugs, drain the tank, ran it bone dry on fuel, put fresh fuel in it with fuel system cleaner in it, and still running really rough. there are no other codes to go with it, and i am out of idea's. willing to give a little reward to one that helps get it going.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
s2ks
Rookie

i kind of got in pretty deep. it got right over my tires, thats about it. i drove it 25 miles or so from where we wheeled at to McD's. i got about 6 miles down the road or so, and decided to pull my chip. i pulled it, drove about 2 blocks and it cleared right up like nothing ever happened. when we got home, i put my son in bed, the wife got all the stuff out, and i went to move truck to unload the atv. when i started it, it went to crap again, this time a little worse.

today i:

changed the plugs
pulled the bed, looked at all the fuel pump lines and wiring
sucked the fuel tank bone dry
put pump back in, started truck till it died from absolutely no fuel
put new fuel back in
1 bottle of HEET
1 bottle of valvoline complete fuel system cleaner
and still bad

SES light goes away when no load (pulling to stop light or something), but as soon as there is a load put on system it starts flashing again.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to the fact that it runs OK some of the time, lets assume that you didn't suck any water into the intake. My guess is that you got water/crud into some electrical connections. I would start pulling sensor connections, hitting them with compressed air and spraying them with electrical solvent, and re-connecting. Possibly do the same thing with fuses and relays. I would pay special attention to anything connected to the coil packs and ignition system. Maybe a leaky boot has water in a plug hole. Who knows?? But it definitely sounds electrical to me.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little fun note.

I woudn't recommend using this methed to clean the engine bay for you guys out there that thought of it.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
s2ks
Rookie

there is no other code besides the random misfire, i couldnt get it to throw another one that would help narrow it down to the problem. there wasnt a sign of water in the engine compartment actually, just some on the grill, and a little on the k-member. i am guessing there was enough air traped in the engine compartment to keep the water from rising any. there wasnt enen any sign of mist being sprayed all over the place suprisingly, i looked to see if that was possible as well.

me and a friend looked over everything we could thing of, and nothing was out of the normal or had moisture in it. i was able to check fuel pressure today, and it was staying steady about 59psi. i didnt have a choice, i took it to the chevy dealership today and dropped it off for them to look at it. i took it to chevrolet because i have a couple friends that work there, and the dodge dealerships around here are about the worse places to go to.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
s2ks
Rookie

got 2 burnt vlaves. got the parts to fix it yesterday, got the valves and seats done today, now going to put it back together. i thought the ford modulars were a cluster, dodge really went out of their way to one up them. its hard for me not to do some head work while i am here, but i hopefully will have this truck traded in soon.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't blame dodge. I'd say you sucked up a little too much water.