3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

front bumper removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
ixc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper removal?

Does anybody know how to remove the front bumper on an 06 Dakota?

I took a call about an hr ago that my GF had rolled into someone at a stop light. As a result the bumper flexed and now sticks out on each side and is an inch or so lower than the headlight (judging from the pics).

w/o seeing the dmg first hand, I am guessing/hoping that the clips holding it in place on the ends simply came loose, but if i have to remove the hole thing to do more work - what is involved?

Old 08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three torx screws underneath the grille, and either two or three torx screws in front of each front wheel...

Pull outwards to release it from the lip that holds it there, and pull forward...

It's simple...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

never have removed one, but...any little hit and those bumpers move! I can't wait to get a new bumper for this truck. All I have ever seen made though (for 4x4's) is from Kennesaw Mountain and it seemed quite expensive for what they were giving me. Also read some bad reviews on the fitment and customer service.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Frenchy
Banned

I've taken mine off probably, ten times now...

What I said is exactly how to do it...

It takes all of ten minutes... tops...

Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do I love this forum? Timely information. One of the trucks at work just backed into my front bumper tonight. Not to bad, just a deep gash in the plastic, and a little misaligned on one side. Looks like I'll get a bunch of stuff cleaned up on the company dime while I'm at it.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
ixc

Thanks for the input everyone. It was much easier that I had anticipated. I removed bumper cover and could see the damage easily. The cover was fine being that its plastic, but the absorber was split in the middle w/ about an inch gap at widest point. I pulled that off and got to the impact bar which i estimated to be pushed in 1.5".

a buddy and I used tie downs and a concrete pillar near my house to pull it back out as much as we could. now its only off about 1/2" but still flares on the ends.

Needless to say I am **** about my vehicles and the GF will be calling the junkyards in town looking for a truck that was rear-ended or side swiped. online prices arent too bad but the shipping is what is a killer.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Frenchy
Banned

YA, I thought that's all that was damaged...

The rest is simple too...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

I can't find a junkyard down here with a 3rd gen dak in it. I wouldn't mind scoping it out and seeing what parts I could pillage. Oh well..

Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Yaaaa idk where you'd have to go to find one...

No where up here has one, either, and that's within a 200 mile radius...

Quick Reply: front bumper removal?