3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Pull the trigger on JetChip T-stat

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull the trigger on JetChip T-stat

About to pull the trigger on the T-stat for my Dak ('06 4.7 HO).

Any advice before I purchase. It looks like the are charging $45 these days and want $15 for shipping.

I have heard of the Napa T-stat, but there is some 'dremeling' required for it? Does this part truly provide the exact same function as the JetChip one at roughly 10% the cost?

My T-stat is going crazy as of late (temps ranging on the truck all over the place) and I am ready to upgrade. I usually do this the right way...but if I can save approximately $55 after shipping, I may look into it.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get this thing in!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a Prestone 330-180 in mine without modifying and it works great. That is just way too much money to spend on a t-stat.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

I bought the NAPA 'stat. All you have to do is either dremel or file a small notch on the 'stat. "lip" and you are done. Will probably take you about 1-3 minutes, (No kidding it's that simple).

Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by newmexicodak
I bought the NAPA 'stat. All you have to do is either dremel or file a small notch on the 'stat. "lip" and you are done. Will probably take you about 1-3 minutes, (No kidding it's that simple).
I did the same.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

Okay...well i think i will give the napa part a shot. From the stickies the part number is 530080. Is this correct?

Also...I am just going to flush the system too since I will already be draining it so much. I am hearing that the Prestone 330-180 is the coolant/antifreeze to use?

I have never done a coolant flush before so any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

well after looking at NAPA online I noticed that the part sizings are quite different. Is this normal? Sorry for all the questions but here are the links I am looking at

stock 195 degree replacement: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...stat+-+Regular

180 degree replacement for 1999 dodge dakota w/ 5.2 V8: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...stat+-+Premium

Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go with the 53oo8o napa stat, same stat i am running in my dak, great 180 stat. just ask the parts guy for the stat and give him the number, it is a direct replacement, but u do have to cut a little notch in the stat

Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

ok i finished the install! once I got out the old stat I saw exactly what you guys were talking about :-) I flushed the system too since I was at almost 60k miles.

So far it seems to be running great, no leaks, cooler engine temp readout. No complaints so far.

All I would say to those who are considering purchasing the 530080 part number from NAPA is to file/dremel/cut a notch out of the 'lip of the t-stat in order to sit flush with the stock gasket (which I reused, it seemed to be in good shape still). I was unsure of where to cut until I got the gasket off the stock one and saw the little notch.

A VERY EASY JOB AND WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYBODY. I will update if I have any further questions or comments. Thanks again everybody for helping me out :-)

Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just hit 81000 miles on my truck and my napa stat has been in since the begining, one thing about this stat is that it is fail safe, which means it will get stuck in the open position if it ever craps out, unlike the old ones which stay closed and over heats the engine

Quick Reply: Pull the trigger on JetChip T-stat