3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have the tow package, there will be no plug and no way to use a brake controller. You're gonna need a tow package wiring harness, and I believe they are about $180 from the dealer. Installation is more than a little tricky as well, but doable. Gives you the blue plug, 7 pin wiring for the hitch, and all the doodads to interface with the fuse box, brake switch, and turn signals.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

I installed the OEM Hitch and harness a while ago...there was *no* blue plug with the wiring harness when I bought it from the dealer...it does have the 7 & 4 pin connector, and all the electrical works fine (brakes, blinkers, etc...)

I just ordered the controller and an 'installation kit' (probably would have been cheaper to just get all the parts myself, but I need to get this done ASAP and don't have time to run around to all the stores)...Two wires to the battery, postive through a fuse, one to the brake pedal and the other to the blue wire from the tow harness...

thanks..

Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

when it's all in place...pictures of what you're towing :-)

Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Originally Posted by popsnbeer
when it's all in place...pictures of what you're towing :-)
Here ya go...6x10 trailer. Wiring up the brake controller was rather easy. The 'installation kit' from etrailers was ok, but you could have easily gone to any autoparts store to get the pieces you may need (I just didn't have the time).

Again, my truck did not come with the tow package...I installed the OEM Hitch and OEM trailer wiring harness. Which is nice, but if you are gonna run a 7 pin connector, there is no plug under the dash to connect the brake controller. Just 4 wires to hook up, battery pos, a relay, battery neg, blue wire from harness, and one of the brake wires.

BC.jpg

TT.jpg

Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

nice. i like the black trailer w/ the black truck. Now, pardon me if this is a stupid question, but if I have the 7-pin connector on my OEM hitch and i plug that in from the trailer I use...wouldn't the brakes engage through that? my question is, why is a brake controller necessary?

I realize this might be stupid, but I have never had to use a brake controller before :-)

Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duuude dak in black.. you've got one cluttered center console area... woowww...

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchy
duuude dak in black.. you've got one cluttered center console area... woowww...
Wife was 'prepping' the truck for a rather long trip...accessorizing I guess...LOL

Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

nice. i like the black trailer w/ the black truck. Now, pardon me if this is a stupid question, but if I have the 7-pin connector on my OEM hitch and i plug that in from the trailer I use...wouldn't the brakes engage through that? my question is, why is a brake controller necessary?

I realize this might be stupid, but I have never had to use a brake controller before :-)
Nope...without a brake controller to power the brakes, they won't work. Basically you have a big fancy plug to power your lights. If your truck came with the tow package, then all you need is the brake controller...etrailer (among others) sells them with a harness that will plug in from the controller to the harness on the truck.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

thx! Looks like i will have to buy one of those when i get my camper trailer! My boat only has a 4-flat plug for the lights. It just has surge brakes (which are almost worthless!)

Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

thx! Looks like i will have to buy one of those when i get my camper trailer! My boat only has a 4-flat plug for the lights. It just has surge brakes (which are almost worthless!)
I'm very happy with the controller...it has a boost feature and you can really feel when the brakes on the trailer engage. Makes for a much safer ride IMHO....

Enjoy your camper trailer!

Quick Reply: Brake Controller