3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

best headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best headlight bulbs?

need to put some new bulbs in my ram, but i am sick of waisting money on crappy bulbs that dont ever seem to work very well, i dont think i want to convert to hid's, what is the best halogen bulbs you have found?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
tdister
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Sylvania Xtravisions. Easy to find, make a noticeable difference in output and don't have the blue coating. They do even better if you up the voltage to them with a new harness.

I won't use anything with a blue coating, seems to really hinder their wet performance.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bulbs

I've been using the PIAA's for the last 2years, they are nice and bright compared to the stock,
1year warrenty, so if any problems they just give you a new bulb.

Downside is cost, around $100,
$50 more and you can have a nice HiD kit

Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

I have Sylvania Silverstars. They are definitely brighter than stock, and I think it was only $80 for a set of four bulbs (headlights and fog lights).

Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

have silverstars in the van, silverstars in my trucks fog lights but PIAA's for the headlights. used to have silverstars and I have to say, the SS are 100 times better than stock and the PIAA's are even better than the SS's. have HID's in the Prius and hands down, the HID's are the best. BUT you can get a ticket for them in our trucks. If the truck doesn't come with HID's from the factory, then they can ticket you for it. I don't know of any 05 Dakota that has a HID option.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

I have had good luck with Silverstar Ultras and Luminics in past vehicles. I would stick to stock wattage bulbs unless you're getting a wiring kit to do it right. I've seen my friend melt the stock headlight wiring on his S10 running higher wattage bulbs.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Q-TIP
Professional

Hey, I just tried something crazy I read on a car lighting website and it worked out PHENOMENALLY well and cost about 15 bucks:

Get two automotive relays with posts 86, 85, 30 and 87. (87a is optional, doesn't get used)

cut your low beam supply wires near the bulb, splice left and right with a longer heavy gauge wire and attach it to the first relay on the 87 pole. Attach pole 30 to the battery through a fused link using heavy gauge wire. Connect pole 85 to ground and pole 86 to the factory positive feed wire.

Repeat this process for the high circuit. If you get it right you will see a noticeable increase in light output from reduced voltage drop!

img courtesy of danielsternlighting.com

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, works quite well, i have done that and is a noticeable difference, some dont recomend it but you can also put a relay between the high and lows, to keep your low beams on when you turn on the highs

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
yep, works quite well, i have done that and is a noticeable difference, some dont recomend it but you can also put a relay between the high and lows, to keep your low beams on when you turn on the highs
That works great on a quad headlight setup where the highs and the lows are seperate lights but on ours it's not so good. Both filaments are in one bulb, I would be surprised if the bulb lasted very long at all with power running to both.

Quick Reply: best headlight bulbs?