3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

need offroad advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
tfraysie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicholas sounds like u had similar trouble while installing the kit as i did. the bolt at the top of the struts that must b removed to take the strut off the spring assembly were rusted almost completely off and the threads were in very bad shape 2. i had 2 take the oxy acetaline torch and cut the bolts and thread off and then replace the struts themselves because of it

Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran

CHECK the FAQ's! I'm pretty sure all this is in there, just like everybody said, all that we have out is the leveling kit and PA body lift. I have the TM kit, Its pretty good, I dont have my body lift on yet, I'm running 32's. You can run 33's with the body lift. Frenchy's right, get a ram...

Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholas9393
flyboy do u like the smell of anus in the morning? cuz i will pay a hooker to sneak into your house while u sleep and plant your nose into her dark carnival
Wow....and how old are you?

Lets all try and get one thing straight. This isn't a forum where insults are "the norm". Quite a few members are very technical and are more than happy to give you good information. Frenchy is no longer a member on the forum, so you don't have to get all "nibbily bibbily from tree to tree".

I run 32" tires with a TM 1.5" leveling kit. I have leaf helpers in the rear, no blocks. After a slight amount of trimming up front, I have no clearence issues while wheeling (Colorado). To go with larger tires, you will need to trim more, get blocks in the rear and have AT LEAST a 2" leveling kit up front. Most members with 33" tires run the 3" body lift on top of the leveling kit. 3 or 4 members with 3" body lifts wheel their trucks. So far, I can't recall any posts that discourage the body lift. Hope this helps.

Little Viking: I have re-read your post four times and still can't stop laughing.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 03-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
LittleViking

Donkey Punch- I have a flair for the comedic and dramatic.

Nicholas - Stop pretending I didn't hurt your feelings. And stop bosting about being a Marine. If you were a anything but a paperpusher assigned to a combat unit (since when is 29 combat duty it happens to be in states) you wouldn't have to tell everyone how tough you are. I guess the Marines stopped turning boys into men with common sense and manners and just left them to their own devices. Hopefully son you wake up and realize just how insignifgant you are in the grand scheme of things and start acting with a little more sense and alot less anger.

Oh and as far as doing more and seeing more, You tell me how your possible 9 month rotation into ONE country even if it was downrange. has any kind of bearing on a dodge dakota or your inability to keep your foodhole shut in the presence of your betters.

disclaimer: Marines, Squids, Zoomies, GroundPounders, Coasties, and reservists of any of the aforementioned services are always welcome in my neck of the woods and having a uniform on will gauruntee you more free drinks than you can handle (yes even you nick)

Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick, you have to understand where we are coming from.

You type like a high school student, so it is hard to take you seriously. No one is doubting that you have performed very serious duties, and we thank you for serving. One of my best friends just got back (yesterday) from the IZ. I (as well as others) appreciate your service in defending freedom.

However, just because you serve does not give you any justice for typing the crap that you are typing. Just understand that most of these members don't like the typical kid that jumps on the internet and starts a bunch of sh*t.

Other than that, welcome to DodgeForum, and just keep your cool.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
nicholas9393
Professional
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nicholas9393, being a LMG operator is cool and I can certainly relate to that. However, keep your post on topic and stop with the petty comments. If you look to start trouble, do so elsewhere.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had both my sway bars replaced 2 weeks ago, I'm ordering my leveling kit here very soon and already have new shocks on the way.
should I still consider getting spare just in case? their new so I would think they'd come off easier, but then I'm no expert.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
LittleViking

Ok so now that we are past all the name calling and macho chest beating. Nick What do you want from your truck? Do want to rock crawl or do you want to run it on the dunes? I doubt you want to take it through the hammers or johnson valley as you won't come out of those places with intact sheetmetal. I

f your looking for a good IFS lift and moderate wheeling your going to need to go to a local offroad shop who can do a custom job.

If your looking for a solid axle swap and some SERIOUS rock crawling you can do the job with a couple of guys from motorpool or some reneck engineers.

For an axle swap you will have to go fourlink because of our frame restrictions. Get yourself a Dana 44 axle out of a wagoneer. Gear it up the same as your rear axle and throw some one piece shafts in it. clean the housing up of all the old brakets and lines. Once you have done that you have exhausted what you can do in a standard barracks in the back of your truck. Now you need to take the truck tothe hobby garage (I think 29 palms has one of these). Find someone who KNOWS welding because these welds are going to be the only thing keeping your wheels under your truck. Measure and use the 4 link calculator to get the lenght of your links for the amount of antisquat and roll center you want. get the IFS brackets and crap off your truck. Take out the diff and the cv axles. Grind the frame horns smooth and paint with a weldable primer.

So now your looking at your truck wondering what the hell you just did.
it has no front wheels and nothing holding it up but a couple of jackstands and your wondering if you just made the most expensive mistake of your life. Now you have no choice but to go forward.

Sling the axle under the truck find the center of the wheel well and hang the axle so its nice and centered and level and straight. now weld the brackets on the axle and the frame. Attach the links and hopefully your good to go.

This isn't a full how to. I'm just letting you know it can be done in a garage or hobby shop. Plenty of guys on pirate4x4 have done similar things on base hobby garages. Only using a few friends to help and the governments recreation programs for soldiers.

I say go for it man. The payments aint going to last forever and the truck isn't going to be yours untill you make it yours.

Post the build up on pirate and on here and alot of people will help you with advise and knowledge.

Oh and Thank You for your service.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 AM
nicholas9393
Professional

little viking thank you for all the advice, BUT, what u just explained involves entirely too money and time for what im looking for. yes 29 does have a hobby shop its where my truck has been sitting for the past week as ive been waiting for parts to come in, and i have no time at all to work on it during weekdays. they also have a new policy of no more overnight stays for vehicles i guess...so im just gonna finish what i have started for now. my tires are in, my wheels are in, sway bar stabilizers, and my lower control arm bushing. im just gonna slap it all in with my new shocks, leveling kit, and rear blocks and be done with it. ill leave the rock crawling to the jeeps and just stick to my trails and occasional mud (when it rains it pours)

Quick Reply: need offroad advice