3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CAI input.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
moFaster10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCrash
Let me ask you this. If you picked up a chick at a bar, would you use a Trojan or a Snickers wrapper?

Just because one option is cheaper and technically accomplishes the same thing doesn't mean it's the ideal choice.
... genius.. you should copyright that crash

Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
MrCrash
Veteran

Originally Posted by ericemery
no, but at the same time, paying more for the same thing doesnt make it better...
True. I meant it as the difference between something cheap and generic that kinda works versus something properly designed for that specific job. There is definitely a point of diminishing return on investment. I just think there is also a point where paying too little will net you a sub-par product.

Personally, I would never trust some dude with a pipe bender and a box of K&N knock-offs to make an intake that would adequately protect my truck's engine from dirt and debris. I'd feel much better with something made by a real company with a proven history that invested money into an R&D team to develop a product that is designed specifically for my truck. But that's just me

Old 02-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Originally Posted by moFaster10
... genius.. you should copyright that crash
that was funny !!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never trust some dude with a pipe bender and a box of K&N knock-offs to make an intake that would adequately protect my truck's engine from dirt and debris.
LOL, never go Turbo or boost. Only kidding, but you are so correct. If I didn't have the blower I would never do anything other than the K&N FIPK, CAI or Airaid system.

The snicker's comment was awesome brother. Mint

Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snickers Really Satisfies

Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I currently am running a 77 Series KN CAI. So yeah I am a fan!

Originally Posted by ericemery
that chrome is pretty looking, but heat soaks and increases intake charge temps. (header wrap can help with that)
I am still not convinced of this. The minute difference between aluminum and plastic isnt enough to bother, just saying... and btw anything is better than stock!

Let me ask you this. If you picked up a chick at a bar, would you use a Trojan or a Snickers wrapper?

Just because one option is cheaper and technically accomplishes the same thing doesn't mean it's the ideal choice.
Awesome man!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM
bain64
Veteran

Hence the name, Cold air intake!

Sometimes things make sense.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM
rengnath
Champion

I really wanted to do a FIPK from K&N when I got my truck, but $299 is a pretty high price tag. I put a drop in K&N and just drove it. After I got my tax return this year, I was for sure doing my exhuast. I wanted to upgrade to a CAI, but I just couldnt break down and spend the money. Instead of a CAI, I got an Airaid modular intake tube for $100. Its the same tube used in the Airaid CAI, but it is used to connect the stock air box to the throttle body. And the good news is eventually I can buy the other half of the system from Airaid to complete the CAI. For now, it took away that box on top of the engine to clean up the engine bay, and Im guessing it increases flow. It sure sounds a little meaner when you give it a little gas, but it doesnt give the distinct hiss of a CAI. Freeway noise was definetly increased. It sounds like my rpms are a little higher, but its just the new intake tube.
My thought process when it comes to CAI/FIPK: I have a engine thats basically stock. I can send as much air as I wanted to that throttle body, but there is still restriction that a CAI just wont take care of past the intake. For me, the Airaid tube is enough. Technically, I have a CAI, as we all do from the factory. The only other thing Im going to do is run a new tube from behind the grille to the facory air box.

Quick Reply: CAI input.