3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Cleaning of throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning of throttle body

Hello Everyone!
My truck is about to roll over to 100k .... what a sad day.
Anyways, when I was replacing the factory intake setup with the new Airaid I noticed that the inside of my throttle body was pretty black. It was all around the outside. I wiped off everything around the inside rim of it with a paper towel and brakleen and it came right off. Is this something I should go ahead and clean farther, or just leave it? I dont want to just spray cleaner in to the intake, as that would just wash it all in to the manifold and so on. So to clean it, or to leave it? And if I clean it, how do I do that and what do I need (What type of cleaner, special tools, gaskets, sealers)? Is it a tough job? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Adams95ta
Rookie

As long as the throttle blade isn't sticking and it's idling fine, I would leave it alone. I would consider cleaning your intake/valves and fuel system with this writeup: http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
rengnath
Champion

Ok. Its not a project that I would feel to comfortable about tackeling anyways, and since its not sticking then I will just leave it. It hasnt bothered me before. I do want to do a fastman throttle body anyways, but I have to wait a while.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a thought, but would there be any problem with pulling the breather hose out of the intake system and just put some sort of a small filter and tie it out of the way somewhere, to prevent this issue??? just may have to hook it back up correctly to pass a smog/inspection

something like this...

BmJvOhCGkKGrHqQOKkIEtlS2hq8mBLem8br.jpg

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 02-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
rengnath
Champion

We are talking about the vaccum hose that goes from the pcv valve to the intake, correct?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
We are talking about the vaccum hose that goes from the pcv valve to the intake, correct?
yes, (hose from the valve cover to the air intake, not the intake manifold)but i believe this hose is just a breather, a pcv normally hooked to the vacuum side of the throttle body, but i never looked to see if the daks have a pcv...

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
rengnath
Champion

I know on my 4.7 (I would guess that it hasnt changed) that the pcv is located on the left side of the oil fill tube. I have looked in to it before, but there were no application specific how-to's for the dakota. And once I noticed it dealt with emissions, I decided not to just try it out so I dont trigger an engine light or anything.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
something like this...
I use something like that due to the Supercharger. I change it out about every six months or so and it has worked great.

Quick Reply: Cleaning of throttle body