3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Give me a break!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Moneyman19
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me a break!!!

Alright guys strap ur brains in. some of u know ive had sum problems with my truck. well last week ive gotten my spark plugs and fuel injectors blown and truck was running good. drove out to my friends house for a bday party its about 30 miles away. passed a car looked down was doing 90 i let off abit my radar detector went off so i hit the breaks well my steering wheel started to vibrate i know my rotors need to be switch they got warped and under warranty. well i was driving home and i noticed that the wheel is now vibrating. i was 10 mins from home and the wheel started to act crazy spazing pulling left and right. it smooth out abit thinking it was just the road because all cars do it on that road. well got up near a sunco and the whole truck was vibrating and truck was pulling to the left and starting to hear a noise it sounded like the tire was going out and i though holy **** that seems why. well get out tires were fine looks at brakes they looked okay. was there 10 mins checking **** out. today went down to the college which is 1 min way driving and i had to come back and the road is closed so i jump on 130 well i gave her sum gas to see waht she would do the wheel started to vibrate more and that jerkness i guess u can discribe it started to come back that seemed to go away when i got new spark plugs. think its the suspension? im going down to the shop today to talk about the brakes and now this. if you guys can help me thanks... me and my parents are starting to get annoyed with my truck. i love it and everything it is my first truck but it has had enough **** for the whole lemon law thing but i dont want her to leave i just want her to run good straight and get me where i need to go.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds to me like a few loose lug nuts. double check them

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have lost a weight on one of the rims, which could cause the vibration here and there, mabye the tires need a re-balance

are you running the stock tires?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

i thnk biker has it thats what i just redid on my summer rims made a huge difference

Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

just got back from college and the shop, he checked it out i told him the story he thought the lug nuts were lose too.. checked em there all tight.. he took it for a ride i took it for a ride and shes started to do it. hes thinking its the brakes mainly the calibers. hes also thinks that jerkeness could be a weak tranny bar. i cleaned my truck last Thursday its tuesday and the build up of break-dust on the rims is building up quite fast. so hes thinking we might have to put slotted rotors and higher grade calibers. Hes going to take it in Friday and check things out in good detail because he just put them on back in September so calibers rotors and brake pads are all new. so im hoping its just sumthing stupid. thxs for the help guys and keep bringing in what you think it all good knowledge just incase it happens for anyone else. if its somthing major.... dealership and warranty company gonna get a mouthful!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneyman19
hes thinking its the brakes mainly the calibers. hes also thinks that jerkeness could be a weak tranny bar. i cleaned my truck last Thursday its tuesday and the build up of break-dust on the rims is building up quite fast. so hes thinking we might have to put slotted rotors and higher grade calibers.
This is a joke right?? Does your "mechanic" actually work on "cars and trucks"?

Someone needs to take a look at your front end...

Brake dust is totally normal.

slotted rotors = wasted money
higher grade calipers = wasted money. Also, where is he getting these "higher grade calipers"? Are the pads not wearing correctly? Example, the outer one has 75% pad left the inner is shot?

I have heard of braking under higher speeds after cruising for a while and a slight shutter with these trucks since they came out in 05. But it sounds like your mechanic is taking shots in the dark, big time.

Again, if your under warranty, dodge needs to inspect your front end suspension components, and steering components. Also, if you think its related to spark (the vibrating), it wouldn't hurt for them to test for misses. If your not getting spark to a cylinder, that can be a vibrating mess as well.

Remember it can't be the calipers if its shaking/pulling when your not on the brakes.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

Well only reason we bring it to the brakes because they squeak when driving and turning mainly the right side. Today i was driving around for a good 30 mins with the breaking and when i got done and turned it off i got close to to smell because we could smell the aroma. on the left side the heat was there but not to bad got on the right side and the heat hit me hard. i had to back away i got in my truck started it up and pushed in on the brakes a couple times and the right brake was making a loud noise just in park. and when ever i make a left turn it makes a squeaking noise. and thats when the breaks and calibers are warmed up. the rotors are warped badly, the only thing that gets me is hes always looking for something crazy and bad. which i can understand but if he does replace the stuff and still starts to do it its going to the dealer. i do try to stay away from them for the most part because we all know dealerships can use cheapo ****. one more day to find out. also when i punch on the gas it does feel like like a brake is hitting because its not constant it hits stops and hits again. dam i gotta stop writing so much.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't done so already take the truck to a reputable tire shop and ask them to check the balance on that wheel. It really sounds to me like you lost a wheel weight (sometimes they put more than one depending on the type of weights used so it's possible for one to be on there and have the wheel unbalanced).

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Moneyman19
Captain

okay guys this is whats going on. He got under there... my calibers are bad and the rotors are warped he said im shouldn't drive more then 45 mins or any long trips. hes using the warranty and going to get me slotted rotors and alot better calibers. what is happening is apparently im a young drive and these brakes cant take it? i drive normal speeds and brake correctly unless im showing off which isn't much or driving with friends. but they are bad. im hoping that is why im getting this jerkiness because the one cailber is sticking and im hoping thats whats doing it. he said Friday he might get the stuff by tomorrow and do it and also replace my oil sensor switch.

Quick Reply: Give me a break!!!