3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Help! Help!! Help!!! Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Help!! Help!!! Please!!!!

so this is day number two. I get off work go to start my truck and its a fight.. it sounds like it wants to start the electronic ignition. keeps cranking sounds like the engine is getting gas but it won't catch. after a couple trys it'll sputter to life. with a check engine light... now like I said its day two. yesterday after I got it started I risked shutting it of to reset the comp. it got rid of the light and started no problem. nor was it a problem at any point during the evening. this morning it struggled but started. when I got to the shop I sat had a smoke with the truck off tried to start it not a problem. well I just left work and it did it again started a little easier but sputtered out the first two attempts so once again after getting it started check engine came on. **** er off reset and she started any ideas as to what's going on... anyone? I've also noticed my gas gauge will read half for a bit when I know im really round quarter tank. if this is at all related.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

um lamins terms "cel" "tps" lol ima get a obd tomorrow cause im sure itll doit again oh and update i wasw sitting out side of my friends woek for about 15min wuth the truck on aux and the battery died it boosted no problem and hasnt died on the road so im not thinking alt. problem my truck has just shy of 80000 km which should be about 50k miles i could be wrong thanks in advance ill try and pull a code will it still give a code with out a check engine light

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this all on 1 tank of gas? if it is maybe you put bad gas in it.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

lol i dont usually fill iot right up i live five minutes from work i run bout half a tank at quarter ill through twenty in i usually top off on fridays or if im heading outta town so its hard to say i put twenty in yesterday and the day before i usually go to the same two gass stations husky or esso

Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

well if theres another gas station close by it wouldnt hurt to throw a few bugs in there... Im not sure if this would only effect the starting but maybe the mass air flow scensor?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

maybe the only other gas stattion on my way home are the shady looking ones though im sure water down theyre gass ive gotten bad gas before last may didnt do to much then just gave me really shotty millage on the high way 120k i drove on 2/3 of a tank lol.. im almost wondering if my battery alone isnt pooched thinking back when iwas painting my wheel last week i left the truck on aux for bout 5 hours listening to music but would it take a week and a half for the battery to finally give out IDK just a thought

Last edited by canadian dakota; 03-25-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

im not sure about that ... I cant see that killing your baT.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

yeah i dunno either my buddy works for midas ima head over there after work tomorrow and get it tested and check the alt and what he say A.V.R. or something see if we can finda problem in the mean time ill try and find a code and carry some boosters with me like i said once shes started she runs fine its just getting it started thaqts the crappy part (would a battery throw a check engine light)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

Idk...