3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
roadriano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust ?

Hi,

First I'm new with trucks and I looked thru all posts for exhaust/muffler info but I have other questions.

On my truck I have a resonator (I guess) which is 3 to 4 ft long !!?? I've never seen it that big in vids "how to change exhaust/muffler". Right after at about 1 ft I have the muffer?! which is 1 ft long. Makes more sense to have muffler first and then resonator ...

All schematics for a dual ... just don't make sense.

-1-
My first question is which piece should I remove to have a smooth deep noise, not to loud, or what to replace with what??

-2-
Will this fit? Dual exhaust dodge dakota V6 ou V8 année 2004 extra cab short bed Magnaflow.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ206733650

Thank you in advance,
Adrian

Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
rengnath
Champion

You have 2 different possiblities for a stock exhaust system. 2 resonators and a muffler or 1 muffler and 1 resonator. It sounds like you have 1 of each. The long piece you are talking about is your muffler and the foot long one is a resonator. To get more of a rumble, remove the resonator(s).

Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
roadriano

Thx a lot rengnath that's exactly what I was looking for
I guess if I take out the resonator and the sound it's not nice I change the muffler right?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
rengnath
Champion

You are correct. Personally, if you can spare the $400-500 just buy a premanufactured cat back exhaust. Thats the best thing to do, IMO, expecially if you are looking for performance. The kits are designed to sound good. Even by swapping out the muffler in your system, theres a chance the sound wont be nice. If you are looking for a rumble, removal of the resonator should do the trick. A muffler swap is going to add more noise vs rumble.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cut resonator off and put on a cherrybomb extreme and call it a day :P

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
WTEBOY703
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well our trucks have two resonators...one right after the cats and one before the tail pipe! i said screw it and threw flowmaster 40 series on and its a rumble in the hungle and I love it!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
roadriano

Originally Posted by WTEBOY703
well our trucks have two resonators...one right after the cats and one before the tail pipe! i said screw it and threw flowmaster 40 series on and its a rumble in the hungle and I love it!
hahah I think you might be right I think I saw one right near the engine.

Anyways thx to all of you for information.

I went to the garage today and cut the resonator after the exhaust ... almost no difference for what I wanted.
Cut out muffler replaced it by a Magnaflow muffler and it's super awesome.
I love it

Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Sdowdle541
Rookie

I would like to hear a Dakota V8 with the muffler removed and just the resonator on it.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I have learned the hard and expensive way....just went and talked to a muffler shop today about getting my new magnaflow installed in place of the flowmaster (i removed everything and went to a single in/dual out super 44)...he said he would have done the whole exhaust from the y-pipe back using a magnaflow knockoff for $250 including SS tips....lets see, I spent $200 for the dual kit off ebay w/the flowmaster, another $125 getting the SS tips and everything welded up after I installed it...$90 for the new magnaflow and now another $75 to have it installed....over $500 spent so far.....could have had a nice borla, gibson or MBRP for that......grrr

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-03-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ?