3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension help

I am pretty unfamiliar with suspension. Let's just say after installing new wheels/tires, front/rear shocks, and the leveling kit, I have had some MAD squeaking up front. A local shop estimated $1400 in repairs to various things including tie rods/control arms and yadda yadda. Please give any input or suggestions here. I am ordering/will order the following parts and hope to install them with some help or find a more reliable shop- Feel free to recommend things
Sway bar bushings (jegs)

Inner and outer tie rods (moog)

Upper and lower control arms (mevotech)

sway bar end links http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...rsal:0%29&sv=0

Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check ur hubs/bearings? I need to replace all the sway bar end links on mine back ones rattle and fronts look like hell

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and Blown should be able to install all of that without much trouble. I've had the front suspension apart and the shocks out before, it's not too bad really. Take a look through the factory service manual, that calls for some specialized tools but combining that with the Trailmaster Leveling kit install instructions I got it figured out. From there it didn't look like too much more to get the control arms off.

I think you you may have trouble with the inner tie rods though, the factory service manual states that the whole rack should be replaced as a unit, including the inner rods.

Something else I thought of. If you're going to do the work start spraying the bolts with PB Blaster or another penetrating lubricant a day or two before. Pay special attention to the bottom strut bolt, if you spray it down good and let the stuff soak in overnight you may have an easier time. I did that with mine and had very little trouble but it wasn't too rusty yet either when I had it apart so YMMV.

Last edited by Altair; 09-04-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done a lot of suspension work i.e. lifts and such. Just replacing shocks and installing drop shackles.

I know Travis's had some suspension components installed by a shop and they didn't do a very good job. Whatever needs to be done we can do!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Altair my struts just got replaced so that hell everyone goes through to get them off shouldn't be there for me hopefully.
Also I forgot to ask how many sway bar links do I need? 2 for rear?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its the same as the 2nd gens it should be two up front, and two in the rear, maybe start looking at the bushings and stuff on the sway bars

Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good wayto diagnose where the squeeking is located is to have a second hand to help. Get under the truck (wear saftey goggles so you don't get a bunch o' dirt in your mug). Have your buddy push down on the suspension, up and down. What you are doing is trying to locate wear the noise is coming from. By getting some WD-40, if you locate the sound near the front sway bar, squirt some WD-40 in the bushing and see if it quites and/or eliminates the squeeking. If not, move to the next area that it seems to be coming from and repeat the process. This is a process of elimination. Don't go squirting it in several different places at once. While you buddy is compressing and unloading the suspension, you are eliminating different possible/multiple causes, and focusing your sites on the problem/problems.

Start at the driver's side (where you will be under the truck, and your buddy is pushing down on the fender) and if you don't find the problem, move to the passenger side. Also, consider that you problem/s may not be the bushings. Inspect the tie rods, sway bar end links, control arm bushings, etc.

Quick Reply: Suspension help