3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Waxing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM
ArmyGuy431
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Waxing Question

When I got back from overseas a couple months ago my wife and my father in-law washes/waxed my truck for me a couple days before I got back. I don't think he (I know my wife didn't lol) had much experience doing that kind of stuff and they got wax all over my plastic door handles and my vinyl (Dodge Motorsport) decals on the bed (which put white streaks on all of them). I tried scrubbing it with car wash soap and it won't come off. Anyone have any idea how I could get the wax off the plastic and vinyl? P.S. I have Goo-Gone which I used before I put on my Bed Armor bed liner as a de-waxer/de-greaser but I'm not sure if that will hurt the plastic or vinyl.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
rengnath
Champion

Peanut butter or tooth paste will remove wax. As for the decal, it may be too late and you may have to remove them. For the door handles, I used a tooth brush. Now I tape off all the plastic on my truck before waxing.

And welcome back to the states!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM
ArmyGuy431

Sweet, thanks for the info man, would have never thought of using toothpaste. I was thinking about getting rid of the decals anyway so if it must be done then it must be done.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
RedRidinHood

Ice car wax from Turtlewax, you can use this stuff on everything...It makes the black stuff look NEW!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
ArmyGuy431

ericemery: do you mean the armor all cleaner wipes for the interior or do they make ones for the exterior too? got some for the interior but not sure if those are the ones you mean. i just got some 3M clean & wax from NAPA yesterday, not sure how well it works since i'm pretty new at the whole detail thing too but I guess we'll see tomorrow

Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
ArmyGuy431

Sweet, got tomorrow off so we'll see, gonna be a full day of truck maintenance, haven't had a full cleaning day with the truck since I've been back so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Meguiars APC+ mixed 4:1 and Poorboy's World Trim Restore

Quick Reply: Waxing Question