3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dimpled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Dimpled/slotted rotors

I have an opportunity to buy a set of Brake Performance premium dimpled/slotted rotors with less than 3k miles on them. Is it worth it? Can these types of rotors be turned? Is it all in the pads with these types of rotors? I always said I would not run these because of the mixed reviews I've seen on here, but for the price (he's asking $100 but will probably take $75), I might be willing to try them. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Six_Shooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll never use cross-drilled/slotted/harpooned/rubbed with magic pixie dust/ETC rotors again, on a daily driver/street driven application. I had MUCH better braking with stock rotors over the aftermarket rotors.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

what if he is not including the magic pixie dust and these are dimpled, not cross drilled??? lol

Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

They all fall under the same category.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running slotted/cross drilled on my Dak, I love them!
They perform great. I don't get it, you think that because of the lower surface area (due to the slotted/dimpled/drilled part) they perform poorly?

I HATE warpage...and refuse to "cut" any rotor as they will warp shortly afterwards.

I would go for it, especially for the price. If you find you don't like them, you could sell them!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Six_Shooter
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hammond_Egger
I am running slotted/cross drilled on my Dak, I love them!
They perform great. I don't get it, you think that because of the lower surface area (due to the slotted/dimpled/drilled part) they perform poorly?

I HATE warpage...and refuse to "cut" any rotor as they will warp shortly afterwards.

I would go for it, especially for the price. If you find you don't like them, you could sell them!

No, the cross-drilled or slotted rotors I have used in the past all had less braking ability than stock rotors, even with upgraded pads.

I have never experienced a warped rotor from having one cut, ever.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the same rotors, they stop great, no noticeable increase of brake dust. I say go for it.

FYI: They are selling new for $184 shipped with new pads.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie

i would buy new with the upgraded pads. gods knows why he is getting rid of them or how he installed them. i have seen "techs" jamming a screw driver in against the rotor to compress the piston, probably not good for either.

i jsut installed new cross drilled rotors and pads. i do not think you will feel much difference. i think flushing the brake fluid will give a better feel than the pads and rotors.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie

one of guys on the site stated that the dimpled filled with dust, he went back the full cross drilled and has been happy. i went with his opinion. for me they mostly asthetics, i like the look and the keep them cleaner. if i raced if have heard cross drilled are prone to cracking. i might reconsider is i took it to track day after a lottery winning or maybe if hauled heavyload down hills. if those are you concerns choose between the cross drilled, dimpled, and simply slotted

ps order a set of brake anti rattle from rockauto. the dormans are stainless. i buggered one up and had to reinstall the pad again.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This spring I plan on switching to cross drilled/slotted rotors. I want rear disc also darnit

Quick Reply: Dimpled/slotted rotors